TMZ is today reporting that Harry Dean Stanton, the actor who’s roles have spanned nearly 200 credits from stage and screen, has died at the age of 91. He died peacefully at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, California. Some of iconic roles included Brett in Alien, Brain in Escape From New York, Bud from Repo Man, and Carl Rodd from Twin Peaks.
Harry had been active in acting all the way to the current day, beyond his recent stint in Twin Peaks, he will also be seen later this month in the indie film, Lucky, in which he plays the title character. The film will mark the directorial debut of John Carroll Lynch. The role of the 90-year-old atheist suddenly thrust into a journey of self-exploration. Indiewire called the role for Harry, “The Role of a Lifetime.”
In addition to his film roles, he was also an accomplished musician, and “The Harry Dean Stanton Band” and their unique spin on mariachi music have been playing together for well over a decade and were regulars at Hollywood’s Hack’s Sugar Shack. The band’s original name had been Harry Dean Stanton and the Repo Men, in homage to his Repo Man role.
He was a self-avowed lifelong bachelor, but had been in a long-term relationship with actress Rebecca De Mornay in the early ’80s. A veteran of World War II, Harry had served as a cook aboard a tank landing ship and was present during the Battle of Okinawa. It was after his tour of duty that he moved out to California. His first movie role was as a soldier in the 1957 Tomahawk Trail.
Twitter was quick to begin marking the passing of one of the great character actors:
— ʜᴇᴀᴛʜᴇʀ ʙᴜᴄᴋʟᴇy (@_HeatherBuckley) September 15, 2017
— Kevin (@kevinwxgg) September 15, 2017
- Twin Peaks Season 3, Episode 11 Recap: "There's No Backup For This"
- 217 Members Of Twin Peaks' New Cast Revealed
- Official Trailer For New Alien: Isolation Video Game
- The Full List Of Oscar Nominations
- Finally - Alien Anthology Bluray Announced, So What's On There?
- First Man: The Naked Singularity Within A National Mythos [Review] - October 12, 2018
- From Stormtrooper Ballgowns to Superman Punching Doomsday: 125 Cosplay Shots From NYCC Saturday - October 6, 2018
- American Gods Season 2 Teaser Trailer Revealed at NYCC – We Have it Here! - October 5, 2018
- Venom Review: It’s Not as Bad as You’ve Heard - October 5, 2018
- Bad Times at the El Royale Review: As Good as the Trailer, Almost - October 5, 2018