Popular YouTube star and one of the platform’s biggest and most successful creators, PewDiePie has once again found himself in hot water over racial insensitivity and controversial action.
The Let’s Play YouTuber, real name Felix Kjellberg, casually dropped the N-bomb in a stream of game Battlegrounds.
This led to a huge public outcry, as the YouTuber is still given a platform as a content creator on YouTube and has millions of fans, a lot of whom even came to PewDiePie’s defence over his use of the word.
The controversy even seemingly caused Campo Santo, developers of game Firewatch which PewDiePie had videos of on his channel, to look at issuing DMCA takedown requests on his videos of their products and cutting all future ties with the content creator.
However, PewDiePie has now made an official apology video in response to the whole thing, where he calls himself an ‘idiot’, how he hears this kind of language used by other players ‘whenever I go online’ and how he thinks it is ‘immature and stupid’, and he goes on to apologise if he caused any hurt or disappointment.
You can watch the apology video below:
It’s a short video, where PewDiePie certainly makes a lot of apologetic sounds. However, it is not overly long ago that he was embroiled in another racially insensitive controversy, so the test will be to see if this one sticks.
The greater discussion may be why such language is so rife in online playing environments, why YouTube does not have a zero tolerance to this kind of language, and why so many were so ready to come to PewDiePie’s defence over the use of a horrific racial slur.
- YouTube's Ad-Pocalypse: Analyzing The Aftermath On Let's Players
- PewDiePie Is Trolling The Media, And Neither Him Nor Us Have Learned Anything
- YouTube Strikes Back: Removes PewDiePie From Ad Program And Cancels Show
- Disney Finally Dumps PewDiePie. PewDiePie Wonders Why Anyone Doesn't Find Anti-Semitic Videos Funny.
- 2017 Television Countdown #4: The Steven Universe Accidental Racism Apology - December 31, 2017
- Doomsday Clock Speculation: Is Doctor Manhattan Posing as a DC Superhero? - December 29, 2017
- Eugenic #3 Review: The Horror Ends with a Look at the Horrors of Ignorance - December 27, 2017
- Well, Does Anyone Like the ‘Jubilee is a Vampire’ Idea? - December 27, 2017
- A Major Unexpected Return in Today’s Spider-Men II #5 - December 27, 2017