In a moment of coincidental timing, I was just watching the new Honest Trailer for The Mummy starring Tom Cruise when I got a package delivered that included a Blu-ray copy of The Mummy. This film was supposed to be the launch of Universal’s new Dark Universe that stars, as they say in the trailer, “guys in their ’50s fighting monsters from the ’30s.” Though, had Dracula Untold done well, then that would’ve been the start of the Dark Universe.
We haven’t heard anything about them scrapping the idea of the Dark Universe… but they’re not talking much about it, either, after this movie bombed at the box office. It only did $80 million domestically, but $327 million in foreign box office might be enough to keep things going.
The Screen Junkies pull no punches here, laying out problem after problem — and the fact it was basically a setup for a universe poorly disguised as a film. Not having seen the movie yet, I get the impression that Universal is trying to do everything Marvel did but in the most DC way possible. A movie has to have heart, humor, and at least one character you want to root for. From every thing people said about the film, none of that exists here. But I’ll give it a watch anyway.
- 'Okami HD' Shows Off A New 4K Trailer For PS4 & Xbox One
- 'Get Over Here' Gets A Release Trailer That's All Sorts Of Awesome
- Joe West: A Reason Flash Fans Should Be Thankful - November 23, 2017
- Mick Rory: A Reason Legends Of Tomorrow Fans Should Be Thankful - November 23, 2017
- Quentin Lance: A Reason Arrow Fans Should Be Thankful - November 23, 2017
- Winn Schott: A Reason Supergirl Fans Should Be Thankful - November 23, 2017
- Butch Gilzean: A Reason Gotham Fans Should Be Thankful - November 23, 2017