DJ is one of the more intriguing characters we shall be meeting in The Last Jedi when it opens in December. Played by Benicio Del Toro, what we really know about him at this point is as follows:
“DJ is an enigmatic figure whose tattered, threadbare clothes and lackadaisical attitude conceal a sharp mind and expert skills.”
We also know that he plays a part in the story of Canto Bight, a gambling resort city that Finn (John Boyega) and another newcomer Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) take a trip to for reasons we don’t know. When asked about it, Boyega had this to say about “DJ”:
“We just need a codebreaker and he’s the best in the galaxy. Unfortunately, he’s very dodgy and only in it for financial gain. He doesn’t fight for any side,” Boyega says.
“He has distinct opinions,” Boyega says. “The Resistance bombs the First Order one day, the First Order bombs the Resistance on another. It’s an ongoing war that will never end. For him, he’s trying to benefit off of that — which doesn’t make him the person you want to trust.”
And on that note, we may have a bit of an answer as to why he goes by “DJ”.
This is the GameStop exclusive “DJ” Funko Pop made available today on Force Friday. Notice that name tag thing on his hat there? Thanks to an awesome GameStop employee we received a tip today. They noticed this:
Thought I have a fun tidbit you might find interesting. I work at GameStop, and we just got the Star Wars: The Last Jedi POP! figurines in. I know nothing about this character, but DJ’s figurine is wearing a little military cap with an inscribed plate. The inscription on the plate reads (in aurebesh, or Star Wars script) ”Don’t Join”. Fits with his mercenary style, and makes me think DJ probably aren’t his real initials.
“Don’t Join” is an interesting phrase that could mean quite a bit. Don’t join the Resistance? The First Order? Either? Don’t Join in on whatever is happening at Canto Bight? Lots of ways this can go. Frankly, I do not think anyone thought “DJ” was his name anyway, but this just seems to confirm it.
Thanks for the tip, GameStop person!
- Mortal Kombat, The Best Fighting Game Series Of All Time, Coming From Funko
- Funko NYCC 2017 Exclusives Wave 3- Disney! Black Hole Pops!
- Funko Holiday Pops Continue With Elf...And Krampus?
- Funko NYCC 2017 Exclusives Part 2: DC Comics And Star Wars! Dengar!
- New Empire Cover Shows Us Luke's Robotic Hand In Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Paul Bettany Has Joined The Cast Of The Han Solo Movie
- RC Astromech Droids Reveal Supreme Leader Snoke's Star Destroyer
- Did Topps Just Spoil The Plot Outline For Star Wars: The Last Jedi?
- 11 Pics/Videos From Force Friday II Proves The Force Is Strong In NYC
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Meet BB-9E: The Goth Version Of BB-8
- Force Friday, And Why Lucasfilm Always Gets This Wrong
- Funko Finally Reveals Their Last Jedi/Force Friday II Products
- Thoughts On John Boyega Grinding On A Caribbean Dancer, And The Ensuing Debate
- Patty Jenkins Is Honored By Wonder Woman's Oscar Buzz
- Bib Fortuna Gets a Sweet Bust From Gentle Giant - December 13, 2017
- Funko Roundup: Harry Potter, Walking Dead, Ni No Kuni, and Funko Shop Updates! - December 13, 2017
- WipEout Omega Collection Shown Off at PSX for PS VR, Coming Next Year - December 8, 2017
- Tom Hanks Cult Film The ‘Burbs Gets an Ultimate Edition From Scream Factory - December 8, 2017
- Batman Gets His Justice League Hot Toys Release - December 8, 2017