It looks like we’re getting even more Blade Runner than we thought we would, and that’s awesome, since there is a considerable amount of time between Blade Runner and the upcoming Blade Runner 2049. The Hall H presentation had a quick timeline that filled in a bunch of the missing details, and Collider got their hands on that. Today, Collider posted the first of three short films that will help fill in the gaps of the timeline.
This first one is called 2036: Nexus Dawn and revolves around Niander Wallace, played by Jared Leto. The replicant program has been shut down since 2023, and Wallace is making a case to revive it with his new, improved model called the Nexus 9. The short was directed by Luke Scott.
According to the timeline, the replicant program was shut down after an EMP detonation in 2022 that shut down major cities for weeks. The market crashed and electronic data was corrupted. Replicants were blamed for the attack, but it was never proven. They were prohibited a year later. The short shows the model that convinces lawmakers to repeal that ban.
We also got two more posters for the movie that continue with the blue and orange color scheme that has dominated this movie’s marketing.
We’re going to get two more of these short films before the film’s release in October, so stay tuned!
Summary: Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.
Blade Runner 2049, directed by Denis Villeneuve, stars Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Ana de Armas, Robin Wright, and Jared Leto. It will be released on October 6th.
- Joss Whedon Exits the Batgirl Movie - February 22, 2018
- A Wrinkle in Time: Reese Witherspoon Talks the Importance of Diversity in Front and Behind the Camera - February 22, 2018
- Game Night Review: Doesn’t Get the High Score, but Doesn’t Lose Either - February 22, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2 Could Explore Where the X-Men Went in Detail - February 22, 2018
- Chris McKay Enters Negotiations for Dungeons & Dragons, but What About Nightwing? - February 22, 2018