It would appear that Netflix has found the patriarch of The Crane Family, announcing on Wednesday that Timothy Hutton (Leverage, American Crime) has been tapped to lead the streaming service’s modern re-telling of Shirley Jackson’s classic 1959 novel The Haunting Of Hill House. The 10-episode series was picked-up directly to series, with Mike Flanagan (Absentia, Oculus) writing, directing executive-producing the series along with producing partner Trevor Macy. Amblin TV’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank will also serve as executive producers.
A modern re-imagining of the twice-adapted work, The Haunting of Hill House tells the tale of The Crane Family, who find themselves living in an 80-year-old mansion and forced to confront the terrifying happenings that begin to unwind for all of them. While no specific character information has been revealed yet, Hutton is expected to be taking-on the role of father to the Crane children; with Carla Gugino (Watchmen) as their mother. Michel Huisman (Game of Thrones) Elizabeth Reaser (The Good Wife), Kate Siegel (Gerald’s Game) have been cast as the Crane siblings; with Huisman portraying the oldest Crane child: a Stephen King-like writer of supernatural novel working on a memoir about his family’s experiences at Hill House.
Here’s how publisher Penguin Classics summarizes the novel The Haunting of Hill House:
“First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a “haunting”; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.”
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse Season 8, Episode 10 ‘Apocalypse Then’ (End of Days 810! Live-Blog) - November 14, 2018
- Gotham Season 5: As The City Falls, The “Legend of The Dark Knight” Rises (TRAILER) - November 14, 2018
- CW Sets Theodora Goss’ The Strange Case Of the Alchemist Daughter for Series - November 14, 2018
- NBC Holidays 2018 Line-Up: ‘Timeless’ Series Finale, The Grinch, SNL and More! - November 14, 2018
- CBS Sets Young Sheldon/The Big Bang Theory Crossover for December - November 14, 2018