One of the brightest young stars in baseball Bryce Harper is counting his blessings this morning, as it looks like he has avoided a catastrophe. During the first inning of last nights game, which had been delayed for three hours due to rain, Harper was running out a ground ball at first base when his foot slipped off the base and planted into the ground, twisting his leg violently and sending him flying through the air.
As he rolled around on the ground in agony, Nationals trainers and manager Dusty Baker rushed onto the field to help the youngster out, baker with his hands on his head. After being helped off the field without putting any weight on the leg, the panic set in among fans and the organization that the injury would be substantial. Here is the play:
After an MRI this morning, Nationals GM Mike Rizzo gave everyone an update:
We dodged a bullet here,” said Rizzo, adding that it was “pretty remarkable” that Harper avoided a more significant injury.
“The bone bruise is something of significance, and we’re going to treat him cautiously and hopefully have him back later on this season,” Rizzo said. “We put ourselves in a position that we can treat it cautiously, and we’ll continue down that road.”
Certainly that is great news for everyone. Harper has been placed on the 10- day disabled list, although there is no timetable for his return. Outfielder Michael Taylor, who himself has been out of action since early July with his own leg injury, has been called up to take his roster spot.
The Nationals dodged a big bullet here, as they have legitimate World Series hopes for this year. That all goes out the window without Harper, who was having an MVP-type season before sliding off that base, hitting .326 with 29 home runs and 87 RBIs. They go as he goes, and while there is no way he is back soon, they should have him for the stretch run and playoffs. Thankfully for them, as of today they are running away with the NL East, owning a 14.5 game lead in the division. That will afford Harper as much time as he needs.
- Is Your Last Thrift Store Find As Cool As This Baseball Bat?
- Derek Jeter, Michael Jordan Lead Investment Group Buying The Miami Marlins
- 'Development Hell' Returns With James Cameron's Spider-Man
- Tomorrow's Batman #28 Has The Deadshot Vs Deathstroke Fight You've Always Wanted
- Konami Has "High Hopes For The Game's Industry" After A Strong First Quarter
- Drowning In A River Of Enemies: We Review 'Solstice Chronicles: MIA'
- Twin Peaks Season 3, Episode 11 Recap: "There's No Backup For This"
- Tim Seeley's Hack/Slash Returns Again, From Tini Howard, Celor, And K. Michael Russel In October
- Watch Conan O’Brien And Kate Upton Play 'Cuphead'
- Funko Star Wars Movie Moments and Gamestop Exclusive Spidey Coming Soon - March 24, 2018
- MLB 2018- The Indians Window May be Closing, But not in The AL Central - March 24, 2018
- John Wick Figure Coming in Winter from MAFEX - March 23, 2018
- Lids and WWE Partner Up for New Line of Superstar Hats, Available Now - March 23, 2018
- MLB 2018: Yankees and Red Sox Will Rule the AL East-Will Both Make The Playoffs? - March 22, 2018