So I’m sitting at home when I get a package. Could be anything. Black plastic bubble bag from… IDW?
Rip it apart and it’s… something from Black Crown! The new imprint curated by Shelly Bond, with the idea of pairing old hands with new talents. A punk rock style. And an old British pub feel. And, yes, Phillip Bond‘s wonderful logo. A sticker and a little envelope still to open…
But first, a letter from Shelly, Setting out the publisher. Confirming the theory of an old friend. Telling a history, a manifesto. And making sure people know that there will be stuff in the individual issues that won’t be collected in the collections.
And also a hotel room key and accompanying cockroach. Just because. And yes, that’s a flash drive. What’s inside?
Well, the preview that you may already have read here. Some wallpapers…
Oh and two videos. A message from Peter Milligan about Black Crown and his comic book with Tess Fowler, Kid Lobotomy, that may have been intended for San Diego Comic-Con or similar.
And, like the key, linking the idea that this is a TV programme piped into The Suites possibly above The Black Crown.
And a teaser with Shelly Bond and a certain Gerard Way for an interview yet to be – but when it is, will be on blackcrown.pub. But for now, just laughter…
Now to find out what secrets the cockroach hides…
KID LOBOTOMY #1 CVR A FOWLER
(W) Peter Milligan (A/CA) Tess Fowler
Kafka meets King Lear by way of Young Frankenstein in KID LOBOTOMY, a dark, demented, monthly satire that follows a dysfunctional family of hoteliers. Will sibling rivalry, seduction, and shapeshifting eventually lead to sanity or salvation?
Big Daddy is a rich hotelier who, in a cracked echo of King Lear, appoints his youngest descendant to manage The Suites, a peculiar hotel located behind the Black Crown Pub. Affectionately known as Kid, his good looks and swagger can’t hide a rough childhood of strange therapies and brain operations that have awakened inner demons and psychodramas. This of course makes him eminently qualified to perform lobotomies. A failed rockstar/successful madman gets one last change to prove his worth-and regain his sanity-by turning the hotel that was once his childhood sanctuary into a lucrative business, despite a host of obstacles-including his own sister-who would love nothing more than to see him fail miserably.
Kid Lobotomy is co-created/written by Peter Milligan (Shade, the Changing Man, Brittania, Hellblazer) and illustrated by Tess Fowler (Rat Queens) with “A” covers by Fowler, a “B” cover by Frank Quitely, and a retailer incentive cover by comics superstar Frank Quitely (Jupiter’s Legacy, We3)
• Grab your cockroach! Black Crown debuts here!
• Special 23 pages of story in the first issue!
• Letter columns, creator interviews, process pages & more!
• Previews for upcoming Black Crown series!In Shops: Oct 18, 2017
- Thought Bubble Debut: Gender-Flipped ‘Fem Fatales’ For A Good Cause - September 20, 2017
- Critical Role Gets A Comic Book Origin For The Vox Machina, Out Now - September 20, 2017
- Mary Jane Doesn’t Remember Living In The Avengers Mansion Either (Invincible Iron Man #11 Spoilers) - September 20, 2017
- The Week In Metal – Batman: The Red Death And Nightwing #29 – But Does Marvel Want In? (SPOILERS) - September 20, 2017
- Secret Empire Is Not Over, Even Though Marvel Are Pretending It Is – US Avengers #10 And Avengers #11 (SPOILERS) - September 20, 2017