John Barrowman was the big bad for the first season of Arrow and has been a part of the franchise ever since. He also spent last season as a member of the Legion of Doom on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow and even popped up on the musical episode of the Flash. He is a fan favorite, and (spoilers) many were crushed to see his character die in the Arrow season finale and to hear that it was the end of Malcolm Merlyn; seems none more so than Barrowman himself.
But in a recent interview on CBR.com, executive producer Marc Guggenheim was asked about the fate of Merlyn, to which he said:
“That’s up to John. We told John when we called him to tell him about the events of the finale, every single person on all the shows has come back in some shape or form. We’ve got flashbacks, we’ve got time travel, we’ve got parallel universes. Goodbye is never goodbye. He has an open invitation to return to the show any time he wants.”
Which is very different from what fans were lead to believe. Barrowman took to his Facebook page today to respond as well:
“I am surprised and very happy to hear Marc Guggenheim’s comments about Merlyn’s future in the Arrowverse because in a very decisive phone conversation we had with Wendy Mericle, I was led to believe that there were no plans to bring Merlyn back.
If they have changed their mind, awesome!
I have LOVED playing Malcom Merlyn and was SO disappointed to be told the news of his death and to no longer be part of a fantastic team and show.
If they want me back, they just have to ask! The ball is back in their court. Write Merlyn an amazing storyline and I will be there.”
I, for one, am very happy to hear this. Barrowman brings a lot to any show he’s a part of, and it just wouldn’t seem right for him to never return.
- Happy Death Day Review: One Of The Better Time Loopers
- Read Vampirella Vol. 4 #0 Free from Dynamite’s 2017 Blockbuster Holiday Bundle - December 15, 2017
- Denver Broncos Put Trevor Siemian on IR, Will Wait to See Who Will Start - December 15, 2017
- Rob Liefeld Reacts to New Titans Image of Hawk and Dove - December 15, 2017
- Exclusive First Look at Dynamite’s Pop Culture Titles Shipping March 2017 - December 15, 2017
- 4 New Clips from Guillermo del Toro’s Trollhunters Season 2 - December 15, 2017