One of the big questions surrounding the new trilogy of Star Wars movies is: “Who is Rey within the Star Wars universe?” It’s also a question the character is asking herself along with the audience. The final reveal about who Rey is something we might learn in The Last Jedi, or we might have to wait until Episode IX — but director Rian Johnson has said in an Entertainment Weekly interview that while it’s important, it might not be as important as everyone thinks:
“To me, it’s important insofar as it’s important to her. And I think it’s important to her in terms of what is her place in all of this? What’s going to define her in this story? She was told in the last movie that the answer’s not in the past; it’s looking forward. But she’s showing up on this island to talk to this hero from the past.”
In the same way, people can be told to do something over and over again, but it’s hard for them to actually do it. It’s a very human reaction people have when they are having a hard time letting something go or accepting reality. Johnson continued:
“You can be told [‘the answer’s not in the past’], but I think she still has a lingering hope that she’s going to find the thing that’s going to say: This is where you belong. This is where you are. I think she still holds onto the thought that where she comes from will help define where she’s going.”
Rey should listen to Pop from Luke Cage: always forward.
Summary: Having taken her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Rey continues her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the saga.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, Carrie Fisher, and Adam Driver. It will be released on December 15th.
- Channing Tatum Says They Are Starting Over With Gambit - August 22, 2017
- Elodie Yung Talks Filming That Resurrection Scene In The Defenders - August 22, 2017
- DC/WB Is In The Early Stages Of Creating That Joker Origin Movie No One Asked For - August 22, 2017
- Marco Ramirez Talks Keeping His Inner Fanboy Under Control On The Defenders Set - August 22, 2017
- Sean Gunn Talks Yondu, Kraglin, And A Little Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 - August 22, 2017