With the upcoming Black Lightning series set to put Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) up against the 100 gang, it was only a matter of time before the CW was going to cast the head of the gang, Tobias Whale. That day is today, as rapper Marvin “Krondon” Jones III has been cast as a series regular for the new series.
Whale is an African-American man with albinism that first appeared in Black Lightning #1 by Tony Isabella and Tervor Von Eeden in 1977, which was also the first appearance of Black Lightning. The villain is a local politician who murders Jefferson’s father, Alvin, after Whale is exposed as being corrupt. He become the violent and methodical leader of the 100 Gang.
Executive producer Salim Akil said about Jones in a statement:
“I was excited about Krondon when I saw his audition. He’s going to make a great Tobias! His authentic street sensibility along with an insightful intelligence is perfect for the Tobias character arc. Not to mention his regal physical bearing will be additive to making our show exciting and different.”
Jones is albinistic and is somewhat new to acting, having appeared in a 2011 episode of Harry’s Law. He is both a solo rapper and leader of the underground hip-hop group Strong Arm Steady. Jones has written for Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Xzibit, as well.
Black Lightning is set for a midseason debut on the CW.
- Sideshow Offers New Black Widow and Captain America Print with a Twist - January 21, 2018
- You Will Believe a White Man Can Lean: Neil Patrick Harris Takes on MJ - January 21, 2018
- Tennessee Titans Choose Mike Vrabel as New Head Coach - January 21, 2018
- Chris Redd Stars as a Very Different Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - January 21, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 1: Does Tobias Whale Think Black Lightning Is Dead? - January 21, 2018