During the recent 2017 Television Critics Association press tour and picked up by ScreenRant, FX Head John Landgraf has pointed out that the version of Deadpool in the animated TV show coming to the network will be different from the Ryan Reynolds live-action Deadpool from the movies.
Which, you know, seems pretty obvious really.
“Deadpool will be really different from the movies. It has a different tone and editorial voice. [We] wanted to make something distinctly different from the movies.”
I mean, at the end of the day, if an animation, which can do things that live-action simply cannot (or at least not cheaply or effectively) decided to basically limit itself to what can be achieved in live-action it would be something of a let down, especially with a character like Deadpool.
The live action film included a fair bit of fourth wall breaking, direct to camera comedy, but the cartoon could probably really extend this.
Hey it’s FX, maybe Deadpool the animated series will be filled with Family Guy-style non-sequiturs!
Another element that of course is different is that one of the big voices spear-heading the project is Donald Glover, who is also a writer and executive producer on the series along with his brother Stephen. The animated series is currently set up for a ten-episode run, and is the network’s second collaboration project with Marvel Television, following Noah Hawley‘s Emmy-snubbed Legion (I’m still bitter about that).
Deadpool himself of course is more visible than ever, and seems to be perpetually on the rise. One need only go to a comic con and lose track counting all the Deadpools on show. Hopefully the animated show will be another feather in Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefeld‘s cap, and not something that will be bump in the Merc with a Mouth’s road.
- Tim Miller To Direct The Adaptation Of Neuromancer
- Rob Liefeld Sketches Zazie Beetz As Domino
- Pansexual Deadpool Possible In Sequel According To The Director
- Deadpool 2 Director David Leitch Praises Josh Brolin As Cable
- National Coming Out Day: 5 Superheroes Who Came Out Of The Closet - October 11, 2017
- ‘Dark Nights: Metal’ #3 Review: Come On, Bring The Noise! - October 11, 2017
- Who Really Won New York Comic Con? – Part 2 - October 10, 2017
- Who Won New York Comic Con? – Part 1 - October 10, 2017
- Talking To Dan DiDio About DC Comics, With A Few Of His Friends And Family - October 8, 2017