A lot of fans are worried about the Alex Danvers / Maggie Sawyer relationship on Supergirl now that Floriana Lima is not a series regular. And as we find out more about the change it sounds like it was less about the writers wanted to scale back the storyline and more about Lima having other things she wants to do. Executive producer Greg Berlanti spoke at the Television Critics Association summer pres tour earlier this week and said of Lima:
We wanted more of her, but she’s got other things in the hopper, other things she wants to consider. We’d love to have her back as much as possible.
Maggie is welcome to come back any time she’s free. We love Sanvers and we’re very sad that Floriana is not available full time this season. We love this relationship we’ve created. With that, we’re going to be telling a modern day love story that really honors their relationship that hopefully will resonate and I think will be very satisfying. Hopefully, she will come join us [again]. The door is always open for Floriana Lima.
You can easily read this as the show had no intention of scaling back the storyline, but the actress has other things going on. The actress also plays Miranda Riggs on Lethal Weapon, but her character is the deceased wife of Martin Riggs (Clayne Crawford), so she only appears in flashbacks. It will be interesting to see if her cutting back the time on Supergirl is career related or personal. Either way, it seems like the writers and producers are still very high on the Danvers / Sawyer match and will do as much as they can with it during the season… schedule permitting.
Supergirl returns October 9th to the CW.
- Gotham Season 4, Episode 5 Recap: A Dark Knight – The Blade’s Path - October 20, 2017
- It’s Flash Vs. Flash As DC Versus Pits Barry Allen Against Wally West - October 20, 2017
- Arrow Season 6: We’re Assured John Diggle Had A Life Before The Military - October 20, 2017
- The Perfect Early Holiday Gift Idea For Classic Game Lovers: The Art Of Atari - October 20, 2017
- Flash Season 4: Harrison Wells Returns Bearing Bad News - October 20, 2017