There were a lot of big announcements at the Marvel panel in Hall H this year, but one of the biggest was finally getting some information on Captain Marvel. We got some concept art, but the biggest reveal was that the movie is going to take place in the ’90s and the Skrulls are going to be the bad guys. Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn was one of the first people to let us know that the Skrulls exist in that same grey area as Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and The Watchers in that Marvel and Fox can both use them.
In a recent interview with IGN, they asked Gunn if he was excited to see the Skrulls make their MCU debut:
“I’m unbelievably stoked on that. The Skrulls are some of my favourite characters, I’ve had other times where I’ve wanted to use them and didn’t work out for one reason or another, and I can’t wait to see their implementation into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”
When asked if there was anything specific from the ’90s he’d like to see show up in the movie, Gunn said, “kids wearing their jeans backwards would be nice.”
Captain Marvel is set to go into production early 2018, so we should get more information about the movie as we get closer to 2018.
Captain Marvel, directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, will star Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson. The film is set for release on March 8th, 2019.
- Aquaman: The Black Manta Suit Is Straight out of the Comics - July 17, 2018
- Agent Carter Producer Says a Netflix Revival Probably Wouldn’t Work - July 17, 2018
- Dove Cameron Talks Her Version of Spider-Gwen from Marvel Rising: Initiation - July 16, 2018
- How a Broken Ankle Helped Mission: Impossible – Fallout - July 16, 2018
- James Wan Talks About Keeping Aquaman a Self-Contained Film - July 16, 2018