There’s been a lot of talk about the tone of the Shazam and Black Adam films over the past few months, and I’m still not sure what to make of it. The Rock has maintained throughout that his film will be light-hearted and fun, while going on to describe a vision of the character that is not very light-hearted at all. Now we have Annabelle: Creation director David F. Sandberg‘s reputation in horror (something he’s having a little bit of fun with in talking to Shazam fans) to contrast with his statements that Shazam will be light-hearted and fun as well. There’s also Sandberg’s recent confirmation that Shazam will be a New Line film, and not a Warner Bros film. There’s a few conclusions one might try to draw from that, but perhaps it boils down to this: It seems like Shazam and Black Adam will have a little bit of separation from the rest of the DCEU. Their own corner of the Multiverse, perhaps.
All that aside, it’s interesting to watch these Annabelle: Creation clips and consider that Annabelle and Shazam are in a sense two sides of the same coin: They feature orphans who come to the attention of powerful supernatural forces. Those forces themselves were in part unlocked by kindly parental figures with deep knowledge of their chosen professions, who are themselves now dead.
Beyond that, it is of course quite a long ways from the world of Anabelle to the environs of Fawcett City, so it’ll be interesting to see how Sandberg makes that trip.
- Cadavers #1 Review: An Interesting And Relevant New Concept
- Official: Nazi Punching Is Good for Business as Captain America Comics #1 Price Skyrockets at Auction - December 8, 2017
- The Marvel Comics #1 that Helped a Comic Shop Chain Get Through Hurricane Harvey - December 8, 2017
- DC Comics Employee’s House Falls to Creek Canyon Flames – Fundraiser Started - December 7, 2017
- Action Comics #1 Original Color Art and the Fine Art of Calculating History - December 6, 2017
- That Time In 1852 When Uncle Sam And Aunt Jemima Got Married And Had A Nice Thanksgiving - November 23, 2017