San Diego Comic-Con is arguably the world’s most famous convention. Vendors from all over come in to set up and sell their wares to the nerdy masses. One such shop, The Oblong Box Shop, opened a Pinup Pop-Up Shop just outside the convention center. The Oblong Box Shop’s owner — Denialle Von Fitch — had her one-of-a-kind designs for sale, along with items from Spiffing, Misfit Menagerie, and Match Accessories. It was a pinup girl’s dream come true, and I could have easily spent an ungodly amount of money — but I settled for an awesome pair of Halloween leggings.
Von Fitch has been designing for years — from web design to the clothing you see. She draws from personal inspiration, and each item is clearly made with love. Her skirts, for example, are printed individually. As a cosplayer, I draw a lot of inspiration from pinups, and enjoy making pinup versions of my favorite characters (such as Sailor Venus, etc.). You can see examples of a pinup Wonder Woman and Leia in the pics above.
With shops like this, I can easily find a solid print top or even a pair of pants to make an outfit. The clothing is also very comfortable. The leggings I got didn’t bunch up once, and they offer a generous stretch in the fabric. While there is no physical store, Von Fitch does set up at events such as Viva Las Vegas and Tiki Oasis.
And yes, the geeky donuts were good.
- Barzinga at Kansas City BBQ to Enjoy Top Gun and SDCC 2018! - July 22, 2018
- Nerd Food: Tasting Super Hero Ice Cream at SDCC 2018! - July 22, 2018
- Betty and Veronica ’80s-Inspired Limited-Edition Pin Set Debuts at SDCC - July 22, 2018
- Chatting with Mike Carbonaro About the Past and Future of Big Apple Comic Con - July 21, 2018
- We Played Shadow of the Tomb Raider at SDCC and Chatted with the Game’s Head Devs - July 21, 2018