Marvel Legacy continues to revolutionize the comic book industry by reviving a collectible stamp promotion from the 1970s.
First revealed right here on Bleeding Cool back in April (pip pip), the Marvel Value Stamp program is returning this Fall as part of the industry-changing Marvel Legacy not-a-relaunch. Marvel revealed the details of the promotion in a press release:
“Who saved them? Who clipped them? Who collected them? This fall, the Marvel Universe returns to an untapped corner of its expansive history for MARVEL LEGACY with the return of the Marvel Value Stamps. Just as Marvel Legacy is bridging the past and the future of Marvel’s iconic universe, this nostalgia-based program is designed to excite new readers. Comic fans may remember these fondly, while new fans and the uninitiated will be able to enjoy them without destroying their prized possessions!”
Appealing to the sort of readers who would be enticed by clipping stamps out of a comic book, Marvel adds that the stamps can be removed without cutting up the letters page like back in the dark ages:
“Inspired by the classic 1970’s program where different stamps could be clipped from the letters page of Marvel books, fans will be able to collect stamps featuring all their favorite Marvel characters. These stamps will be on inserts within the regular cover editions for all first issue Marvel Legacy titles, beginning with titles debuting in October. And a proper homage to these collectible stamps wouldn’t be complete without a collectible stamp album – to be revealed!”
But don’t they know that removing a collectible stamp from an insert is just as destructive to these collectible comic books?! Damaging an insert is akin to opening a polybag or removing a hologram trading card. The comic will be completely worthless!
The only option, of course, is to buy two copies. One for reading and stamp-clipping, and one for putting in storage until it’s worth a million dollars 20 years from now.
Wait a minute! A promotion that entices readers to buy two copies of a comic?! Maybe Marvel has known what they’re doing all along.
- Original Wolverine Tops The Advance Reorder Lists - Is It Time For Marvel To Bring Him Back?
- You'd Have Gotten An Exiles #125 With Marvel Legacy If It Wasn't for Those Pesky Kids
- Dan DiDio On DC Comics And Acknowledging Legacy Numbering
- Becky Lynch Could Be the Future of WWE… If They Don’t Screw It Up - November 13, 2018
- Female Furies: Cecil Castellucci and Adriana Melo Deconstruct Systemic Misogyny in Jack Kirby’s 4th World - November 12, 2018
- Wolverine and Loki Team Up in Wolverine: Infinity Watch in February - November 12, 2018
- Jordan White Cancels #XMenMonday Again, Promotes Music Career Instead - November 12, 2018
- Venom: Better Than Watchmen, More Successful Than Justice League? - November 12, 2018