It has been made official, Wonder Woman will grace theaters around the world again in her second solo outing.
Wonder Woman 2 will be hitting theaters on December 13, 2019. The film is being written right now, at least in treatment form, by Patty Jenkins, who of course directed the first film, and Geoff Johns. While the first film has grossed $749 million worldwide so far, it has no end in sight and has held up well in its 58 days of release. It has also passed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as the top earner of the summer. It will face some pretty stiff competition when the sequel opens, with the Masters of the Universe reboot, Wicked, and a yet unannounced Disney film slated to come out the week after.
Warner Bros has not yet confirmed that Jenkins will be back in the director’s chair, but she has had plenty to say as to what a sequel will entail:
“The story will take place in the U.S., which I think is right. “She’s Wonder Woman. She’s got to come to America. It’s time.
“I’m not a big obligation person when it comes to art. You want to do a movie like this because you believe in it,” she said. “Then I had this revelation in the middle of the night: this is your dream cast, you’ve created a character that you love and you can say anything you want in the world right now.”
Jenkins added, “Then I realized that Wonder Woman 2 is its own great movie. I made Wonder Woman. Now I want to make Wonder Woman 2. It’s a beautiful story to tell, an important time to tell it and with people that I love.”
Star Gal Gadot will of course be back as Diana as well. Hopefully between now and December 2019 we will see her more than just in November’s Justice League.
- Wonder Woman II Movie Logo Revealed?
- From Perfect To Real: Moving Beyond The Strong Female Character At San Diego Comic-Con
- Despite A Strong Showing, DC Still On The Defensive: Inside Hall H At SDCC Warner Bros. Part 3
- Where Was Henry Cavill During San Diego Comic-Con 2017?
- The 20 Biggest Exclusive Comic Sales Of San Diego Comic-Con 2017
- 'Wonder Woman' Director Of Photography Matthew Jensen Talks Most Difficult Shot (VIDEO)
- Least-Surprising SDCC News: Wonder Woman 2 Is Confirmed
- Warner Bros. Pictures Presentation: Live From SDCC (UPDATING)
- New Justice League Poster: "You Can't Save The World Alone"