During their panel at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, Capcom wasted our time by revealing a secret character hidden within Ultra Street Fighter II: Shin Akuma. Yes, the fact that Shin Akuma is unlockable was the big news out of Capcom’s panel. The process of unlocking Shin Akuma is a little bit more contrived than the infamous Konami Code, but it doesn’t require any kind of fancy gameplay like most other character unlocks. Still, the fact that this was the news coming out of the World Capcom panel is pretty damn depressing. Not unexpected, as Monster Hunter and Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite got their own panels, but still a disappointment.
Nevertheless, here is how to unlock Shin Akuma. You need to enter a series of inputs in the character select screen:
- Choose Ryu, highlight color 1, then press cancel.
- Choose Ken, highlight color 9, then press cancel.
- Choose Sagat, highlight color 8, then press cancel.
- Choose M. Bison, highlight color 7, then press cancel.
- Highlight the random select, then press L and R simultaneously.
Players will have to input the code every time they want to play as Shin Akuma as he is not unlocked after the code is entered. That is a deliberate callback to the arcade days of Street Fighter II, when players had to input special codes in order to unlock Akuma, or the old version of characters in Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
Shin Akuma, as the name implies, is souped-up version of Akuma with different color variations. He throws two air fireballs instead of one, and all of his special moves deal higher damage. The heavy version of his Shakunetsu Hadoken, for example, deals 75 damage (the same as his Raging Demon super move). He seems to have similar health to Akuma, making him basically a glass cannon.
Okay so he might not be as breakable as other glass cannons, but that’s exactly how you need to play him.
- A Couple New Trailers From 'Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite' Show Off Two Characters
- Capcom Reveals Menat As The Latest 'Street Fighter V' Character
- Capcom Planning To Boost Support For Nintendo Switch Titles
- Brand New Footage Out For 'Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite'
- Katy Perry to Join Cast of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - December 11, 2018
- The Leaderboard and NYXL to Host a Super Smash Bros Livestream Next Week - December 11, 2018
- BioWare Gives More Details on Anthem’s Demo - December 7, 2018
- Silent Hill and Legacy of Kain Tested for PlayStation Classic - December 7, 2018
- Com2uS Releases New Gameplay Preview for Skylanders: Ring of Heroes - December 7, 2018