Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 18th, the 199th day of the year.
1986- Footage of the wreck of the Titanic is shown.
1987- Aliens, one of my personal all-time favorite films, hits theaters.
1999- David Cone pitches a perfect game.
2008- The Dark Knight opens in theaters, setting records. Heath Ledger would go on to win the Best Supporting Academy Award for his performance of the Joker posthumously.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Mission: Impossible (1998), Diablo II for Mac (2000), Monster House (2006)
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 2010 the WWE presented Money in the Bank from Kansas City. The show featured two MITB matches, the first time this type of match was held at an event that was not Wrestlemania. In the first, Kane won the briefcase, and cashed on on Rey Mysterio Jr. later on that evening to capture the World Heavyweight title. It was his first title win since 1998. He was also the first person to capture the case and cash it in the same night. In the other, The Miz climbed the ladder and grabbed the briefcase for a WWE Championship title shot at the time of his choosing. That time would come in November, when on an episode of RAW he shocked the world and defeated Randy Orton to win his first WWE title. He would go on to successfully defend it at the following years Wrestlemania in the main event against John Cena. Also: his win gave us this meme forever.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2011 as speculation ramped up for SDCC, we covered more New 52 news, Emma Watson teaming with Guillermo Del Toro for Beauty and the Beast (wish that would have happened), and Nolan doing rewrites to Man of Steel? Read it all here!
Today in Disney history, in 1955 Dave MacPherson becomes the first paying customer to enter a Disney park, as Disneyland opens up to the public.
Have a great Tuesday everyone!
- Today in Pop Culture For July 17: Disneyland Opens, CM Punk Wins The Big One, Yellow Submarine Debuts, World Emoji Day, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 16: Hocus Pocus Opens, Catcher In The Rye, Jordan Vs Bird, Hanky Panky, Amazon Begins, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 15: Die Hard Opens, KOTOR, Bischoff Returns, Space Mountain, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 14: The MP3 Is Introduced, WCW Blows It, National Nude Day, When Harry Met Sally, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 13: Ghost Opens, Live Aid, The Lion King Soundtrack, World Cup Action, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 11: Hamilton Slain, Hardy/Edge Feud, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Goof Troop, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 10: The App Store Debuts, Escape From New York Opens, And Happy Birthday Joe Shuster!
- Pickle Rick Funko Pop T-Shirt Coming To NYCC - September 25, 2017
- NFL Players Lock Arms And #TakeTheKnee At Kickoff Today - September 24, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Is Now The Highest-Grossing Superhero Film Of 2017 - September 24, 2017
- Batman Joins The #TakeTheKnee Protest Thanks To Francesco Francavilla - September 24, 2017
- LeBron James Goes In On Trump “We As American People Need To Come Together Even Stronger” - September 23, 2017