Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 17th, the 198th day of the year.
1941- Joe DiMaggio’s 56 game hit streak ends. He had reached safely in each of those games. This is still a record.
1955- The first town powered by nuclear energy, Arco, Idaho is powered by a single plant for one hour.
1968- The Beatles Yellow Submarine debuts in London.
1984- Svetlana Savitskaya becomes the first woman to walk in space.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Hook in Japan (1992), Ghost in the Shell in Japan (1997), KISS: Psycho Circus- The Nightmare Child (2000), Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull (2009)
Today in Pro Wrestling history, two major title changes. The first was in 1994, at the first ever WCW Bash at the Beach, where Hulk Hogan defeated Ric Flair for the WCW World Heavyweight title. It was the first ever televised meeting of arguably the two most popular wrestlers of all-time. It was also Hogan’s first WCW match. Mr.T was in his corner. Also: Shaq. And in 2011, WWE presented Money in the Bank from Chicago, where in the main event CM Punk defeated John Cena for the WWE Championship. For weeks, Punk, whose contract was up that night, said he would win the title and leave the company with it. He did just that, pinning Cena while Vince McMahon watched. Punk grabbed the belt, blew Vince a kiss, and exited the arena through the crowd, jumping into a cab. When he got home, he took a picture of the belt in his fridge and posted it to social media. What we didn’t know is that he had signed a contract to return, and he would come back to TV soon. the match with Cena was given a rating of 5 stars by Wrestling Observer, the first match to achieve that in the WWE since 1997. It was also named match of the year and the PPV won show of the year.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2011 we covered quite a few topics: Batgirl going back into her chair, the leak of the Avengers trailer, a cool look behind the scenes at Pixar, and more! Click and check some of it out.
Today’s Birthdays include Art Linkletter TV show host (1912), Lou Boudreau athlete (1917), Phyllis Diller actress (1917), Donald Sutherland actor (1935), David Hasselhoff actor (1952), Joseph Michael Straczynski writer (1954), Alex Winter actor (1965), Luke Bryan musician (1976), Billie Lourd actress (1992)
Happy World Emoji Day!
And a special Happy Birthday to Disneyland!!!! The park itself was opened on this day in 1955.
Have a great beginning to your week everyone! SDCC is in two days!!!!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 16: Hocus Pocus Opens, Catcher In The Rye, Jordan Vs Bird, Hanky Panky, Amazon Begins, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 15: Die Hard Opens, KOTOR, Bischoff Returns, Space Mountain, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 14: The MP3 Is Introduced, WCW Blows It, National Nude Day, When Harry Met Sally, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 13: Ghost Opens, Live Aid, The Lion King Soundtrack, World Cup Action, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 12: Disco Demolition, The Rolling Stones Debut, Etch-A-Sketch, Bash At The Beach, Star Tours, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 11: Hamilton Slain, Hardy/Edge Feud, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Goof Troop, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 10: The App Store Debuts, Escape From New York Opens, And Happy Birthday Joe Shuster!
- Final Girls Film Coming From Universal Pictures - November 18, 2017
- Rian Johnson Confirms The Last Jedi Runtime: 2 Hours And 30 Minutes - November 17, 2017
- A Wrinkle In Time Drops New Poster, New Trailer Debuts This Sunday On ABC - November 17, 2017
- Stretch Armstrong And The Flex Fighters Review: Different, But Fun And Promising - November 17, 2017
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Is Hitting YouTube Today - November 17, 2017