Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 16th, the 197th day of the year.
1935: The first parking meter is installed in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
1951: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is published.
1966: Tommy James and The Shondells hit#1 with Hanky Panky.
1995: Amazon opens its website up for business.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Jordan vs Bird: One on One in Japan (1993), Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships (2009), and Dynasty Warriors 8 (2013).
Today in Pro Wrestling history: in 1995, WCW held Bash at the Beach on a real beach. Specifically Huntington Beach, California. Not only that, they literally just set up the ring on the beach and anyone could just walk right up and watch for as long as they want. WCW made zero dollars as a gate. They would claim 100,000 people showed up, and guess what? That was not correct. Figures have put it closer to around 9,500. The best part: footage of this show would be used for a truly terrible episode of Baywatch in 1996. And in 2002, Stephanie McMahon returned to WWE programming as the General Manager of SmackDown. that would last 15 months until she lost a match…to her father Vince.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2014 we took a humorous trip to a local GameStop.
Today’s birthdays include “Shoeless” Joe Jackson athlete (1887), Orville Redenbacher businessman (1907), Ginger Rogers actress (1911), Michael Flatley dancer (1958), Will Ferrell actor (1967), Barry Sanders athlete (1968), and Corey Feldman actor (1971).
John F. Kennedy Jr. sadly lost his life today in 1999.
In Disney history today, Hocus Pocus opened in theaters. A great, underrated film!
Have a great Sunday, everyone!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 15: Die Hard Opens, KOTOR, Bischoff Returns, Space Mountain, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 14: The MP3 Is Introduced, WCW Blows It, National Nude Day, When Harry Met Sally, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 13: Ghost Opens, Live Aid, The Lion King Soundtrack, World Cup Action, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 12: Disco Demolition, The Rolling Stones Debut, Etch-A-Sketch, Bash At The Beach, Star Tours, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 11: Hamilton Slain, Hardy/Edge Feud, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Goof Troop, And More!
- Pickle Rick Funko Pop T-Shirt Coming To NYCC - September 25, 2017
- NFL Players Lock Arms And #TakeTheKnee At Kickoff Today - September 24, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Is Now The Highest-Grossing Superhero Film Of 2017 - September 24, 2017
- Batman Joins The #TakeTheKnee Protest Thanks To Francesco Francavilla - September 24, 2017
- LeBron James Goes In On Trump “We As American People Need To Come Together Even Stronger” - September 23, 2017