Next up in the Disney Live panel, Disney brought out Mary Poppins Returns director Rob Marshall and its leading star Emily Blunt. We saw some new images from the movie and Marshall told us how excited he was about having one of the tables from the original set.
The movie also revealed Dick Van Dyke’s role as the head of the Bank. The footage looks great, but the thing that made the experience even better was the fact that it was played to original compositions from the 1964 movie, performed live. The footage looked great, with Poppins emerging from clouds and the movie showing off original dance numbers. Marshall said that when Van Dyke arrived on set, he said it was like nothing had changed. The audience lost their minds every time Lin-Manuel Miranda appeared on screen. Blunt compared the production to a proper musical.
We also got some teaser information about various other Disney projects currently in production, including the casting for the remake of Aladdin with Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott as Aladdin and Jasmine, and Will Smith as the Genie. We also got a look at some of the concept art for Tim Burton’s remake of Dumbo, including some concept art and a look at the model used for Dumbo. He looks real enough to jump off of the stage.
— DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) July 16, 2017
The cast now includes Colin Farrell, Eva Green, Danny DeVito, and Michael Keaton, along with newcomers Nico Parker and Finley Hobbins. It has a March 29th, 2019 release date, will be shot entirely in England, and the audience was very into it. They gave no new information on the upcoming live-action adaptation of Mulan.
The thing that got me, even more than anything else, was the ending of the Disney part of this presentation before they moved on to Lucasfilm and Marvel. The screen went dark and they showed the opening of the Jon Favreau-directed remake of The Lion King. The footage was stunning and somehow looked better than The Jungle Book. I watched the footage and burst into tears.
- Inside The Disney Live Panel At D23 Part 4: Marvel Brings Down The Roof (And A Moon)
- Inside The Disney Live Panel At D23, Part 1: 'A Wrinkle In Time' And 'Nutcracker'
- Inside The Disney Live Panel At D23, Part 3: Lucasfilm Is A Letdown
- Are You Ready For Dumbo? D23 Gives Us New Insight!
- Disney Dates A New Animated Film For 2019 At D23
- Mary Poppins Explains How Yondu's Arrow Works In Guardians Of The Galaxy
- Julie Andrews Will Not Have A Cameo In 'Mary Poppins Returns'
- 'Mary Poppins Returns' Is Practically Perfect In Every Way On This EW Cover
- Will Smith Flies Away From Live-Action Dumbo Film
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi TV Spot Shows Off Some New Footage - November 19, 2017
- [SPOILERS] Justice League – Ray Fisher Talks A Deleted Scene With Victor Stone’s Mother - November 18, 2017
- [SPOILERS] Justice League – Jason Momoa Talks Vulko And Deleted Scenes - November 18, 2017
- Wonder Review: Tugs At The Heartstrings, But Isn’t Obnoxious About It - November 17, 2017
- Lady Bird Review: A Flawless Coming-Of-Age Story - November 17, 2017