Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 15th, the 196th day of the year.
1876- Baseball’s first no-hitter is thrown by George W. Bradley.
1968- One Life To Live premieres on daytime TV.
1988- Come out to the coast, we’ll have a few laughs. Die Hard debuts in theaters.
2009- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens in theaters.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. in Japan (1983), Street Fighter II (1992), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox (2003), Nancy Drew: The Mystery of the Clue Bender Society (2008)
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 2002 the unthinkable happened, as on RAW that night Vince McMahon introduced us to the new RAW General Manager: Eric Bischoff. For years, Bischoff was the biggest heel of WCW, between backstage politics, making himself part of the show, and openly antagonizing Vince at every opportunity. He would have Nitro announcers give away the results of the taped episodes of RAW live on air (which backfired big time once…). He even once dared Vince to show up on Nitro to fight him. When WCW went under, everyone kinda just assumed he would go away. The last person people expected to become general manager and walk out from the back was Eric. Sometimes wrestling really can surprise you still. Also: it gave us one of the best theme songs ever.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2011 we took a look at a popular subject around here: DC deciding if they should kill someone! This time it was Stephanie Brown aka Spoiler.
Today’s Birthdays include Clive Cussler author/explorer (1931), Linda Ronstadt musician (1946), Arianna Huffington author/businesswoman (1950), Marky Ramone musician (1952), Barry Melrose athlete/hockey analyst (1956), Ian Curtis musician (1956), Forest Whitaker actor (1961), Diane Kruger actress (1976), Laura Benanti actress (1979), Heath Slater wrestler (1983)
And today in Disney history, in 1975 construction began on Space Mountain!
Have a great Saturday everyone! Should be lots of great news coming out of D23!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 14: The MP3 Is Introduced, WCW Blows It, National Nude Day, When Harry Met Sally, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 13: Ghost Opens, Live Aid, The Lion King Soundtrack, World Cup Action, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 12: Disco Demolition, The Rolling Stones Debut, Etch-A-Sketch, Bash At The Beach, Star Tours, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 11: Hamilton Slain, Hardy/Edge Feud, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Goof Troop, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 10: The App Store Debuts, Escape From New York Opens, And Happy Birthday Joe Shuster!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 9: Tron Opens, Hogan And Russo Feud, Dylan Records A Classic, Sugar Cookies, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 8: Spice Girls, Lean On Me, The Goblet Of Fire, Nash Tears His Quad, And More!
- Pickle Rick Funko Pop T-Shirt Coming To NYCC - September 25, 2017
- NFL Players Lock Arms And #TakeTheKnee At Kickoff Today - September 24, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Is Now The Highest-Grossing Superhero Film Of 2017 - September 24, 2017
- Batman Joins The #TakeTheKnee Protest Thanks To Francesco Francavilla - September 24, 2017
- LeBron James Goes In On Trump “We As American People Need To Come Together Even Stronger” - September 23, 2017