The Evil Within is a game you’d never expect to have a direct sequel, because of the way it ends. When The Evil Within 2 was announced at Bethesda’s E3 show, most of us were completely baffled when it was revealed to be a direct sequel. Because just how could it? Mass Effect couldn’t get a direct fourth sequel for reasons nearly as obvious, so how in the world were Tango Gameworks planning to do that with The Evil Within?
Fair warning, this article contains spoilers for a game which came out way back in October of 2014, but I know how people get about spoilers, so here’s your warning.
GameRant got the scoop, so we’re just going to go ahead and let them tell you exactly how this is going to work:
“The connections to the original will be apparent right from the start of The Evil Within 2. The game begins with Sebastian Castellanos still reeling from the events of the first game, now struggling with alcoholism. Sebastian eventually discovers that his daughter Lily, who he believed to be dead, is being used by the mysterious Mobius organization to create a STEM world – a hellish landscape that is accessible through the STEM device.
Sebastian willingly goes to the STEM world, called Union in this game, in an attempt to rescue his daughter. Sebastian is aided by Juli Kidman, a Mobius double agent who was responsible for subjecting Sebastian to the STEM world in the first game.”
So we have returning characters, formerly presumed-dead daughters, STEM worlds, and more Mobius shenanigans, which is going to make The Evil Within 2 one hell of a ride. Sebastian is going to have a rough time of it through the game, and if things go the way we expect them to (terribly), we’ll be right there with him throughout the campaign jumping at shadows and stewing in a miasma of angst.
I’m actually pretty psyched for this. Can I even admit that? Am I going to burst into a puddle of goo because I’ve admitted to being excited for a game that wasn’t published by Square Enix? Who knows.
- A Good Look At Evil With A New 'The Evil Within 2' Trailer
- Shinji Mikami's Role Minimal With 'The Evil Within 2'
- New Horrifying Trailer Drops For 'The Evil Within 2'
- Dauntless Has a New Opening Cinematic in Time for the Open Beta - May 22, 2018
- Earthfall Will Release for PC and Consoles this July - May 22, 2018
- Final Fantasy XIV’s Patch 4.3 is Live with New Raids, Dungeons, and PvP Updates - May 22, 2018
- Activision Blizzard Announces Overwatch LEGO at Licensing Expo 2018 - May 22, 2018
- Destiny 2 Brings Back the Bannerfall Map for Season 3’s First Iron Banner - May 22, 2018