Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 14th, the 195th day of the year.
1968- Hank Aaron hits his 500th home run.
1969- The currency notes in denominations of $500, $1000, $5000, and $10,000 were being discontinued. They were last printed in 1945.
1989- License To Kill and When Harry Met Sally… are released into theaters.
1995- The MP3 is introduced.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Mario Paint in Japan (1992), Echo Night (1999), Athens 2004 (2004), and a year ago Pokemon Go! came out in the UK.
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 1991 WCW presented The Great American Bash. It was the first show after the firing/left of his own volition of Ric Flair. He took the WCW Heavyweight Title with him, and the NWA recognized him as champion until his debut in WWF in September. Dusty Rhodes brought an old belt from home since the new one was not ready in time. The whole show is a dour affair, with the talent not exactly giving the impression they were trying their hardest in protest over Flair leaving, and the crowd chanted “We Want Flair” for the entire length of the show. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter named it as the worst PPV of 1991, and its one of the worst you will ever watch. Also a Happy Birthday to Joey Styles, Bubba Ray Dudley, and Jeff Jarrett!
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2011 we got an interesting runaround about a comic called Man From Space that takes twists and turns I was not expecting…
Today’s Birthdays include William Hanna co-founder of Hanna Barbera (1910), Woody Guthrie musician (1912), President Gerald Ford (1913), Ingmar Bergman director/writer (1918), Harry Dean Stanton actor/musician (1926), Jackie Earle Haley actor (1961), Matthew Fox actor (1966), Conor McGregor athlete (1988)
Oh my…to all of you celebrating, Happy National Nude Day!
And finally today in Disney history, D23 starts today! Keep it locked here today and all weekend for all the big stories out of the con.
Enjoy your Friday everyone! I hope it is great!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 13: Ghost Opens, Live Aid, The Lion King Soundtrack, World Cup Action, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 12: Disco Demolition, The Rolling Stones Debut, Etch-A-Sketch, Bash At The Beach, Star Tours, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 11: Hamilton Slain, Hardy/Edge Feud, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Goof Troop, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 10: The App Store Debuts, Escape From New York Opens, And Happy Birthday Joe Shuster!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 9: Tron Opens, Hogan And Russo Feud, Dylan Records A Classic, Sugar Cookies, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 8: Spice Girls, Lean On Me, The Goblet Of Fire, Nash Tears His Quad, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 7: Hogan Turns Heel, UFO's In Roswell, Sliced Bread, Rocket League, And More!
- Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Gets The Ultimate Release From Blitzway - November 21, 2017
- Marvel Legends Ghost Rider And Black Widow Cycles Coming Soon - November 21, 2017
- Mondo Release Of The Week: Freddy’s Greatest Hits! - November 21, 2017
- Hulk Dazzles In New One:12 Collective Thor Ragnarok Figure - November 20, 2017
- Baseball Hall Of Fame Ballot For 2018 Includes Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, More - November 20, 2017