Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 13th, the 194th day of the year.
1923: The famous Hollywood sign in California is dedicated. It originally said Hollywoodland.
1930: The first World Cup begins.
1985: Live Aid takes place in London and Philadelphia and is broadcast around the world.
1990: Ghost opens in theaters.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete in Japan (1998), Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel (2003), Mario Party 8 in the UK (2007), and Ubisoft announced that they had acquired the Driver licence from Atari in 2006.
Today in Pro Wrestling history: at WCW Bash at the Beach 1997, Dennis Rodman participated in a match with Hulk Hogan as his partner against Lex Luger and The Giant. He would wrestle the following year as well, in the match we covered yesterday.
In 2005, the character of Muhammad Hassan causes the WWE all kinds of problems after a controversial segment with The Undertaker takes place the same day as a terrorist attack in London. We will cover this further in a couple days…And that same day on the online show Byte This! Matt Hardy calls into the show live to ask Lita why she she left him for Adam Copeland, AKA Edge. And in 2015, Sasha Banks, Charlotte Flair, and Becky Lynch make their main roster debuts and the Women’s Revolution is officially on.
Today in Bleeding Cool history: in 2011, remember when Wonder Woman wore pants? People actually cared about that once. Well, DC caved and took them off her for the New 52. Also: Frank Cho.
Today’s birthdays include Sir Patrick Stewart actor (1940), Harrison Ford actor (1942), Cheech Marin actor/comedian (1946), Cameron Crowe director/writer (1957), Tom Kenny voice actor “Spongebob Squarepants” (1962), and Ken Jeong actor/comedian/physician (1969).
Celebrate Barbershop Music Appreciation Day today!
And in Disney history today, the soundtrack for The Lion King was released, and it is a classic.
Have a fantastic Thursday, everyone!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 12: Disco Demolition, The Rolling Stones Debut, Etch-A-Sketch, Bash At The Beach, Star Tours, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 11: Hamilton Slain, Hardy/Edge Feud, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Goof Troop, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 10: The App Store Debuts, Escape From New York Opens, And Happy Birthday Joe Shuster!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 9: Tron Opens, Hogan And Russo Feud, Dylan Records A Classic, Sugar Cookies, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 8: Spice Girls, Lean On Me, The Goblet Of Fire, Nash Tears His Quad, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 7: Hogan Turns Heel, UFO's In Roswell, Sliced Bread, Rocket League, And More!
- Netflix And Nielsen Are Still Not Friends, As Streaming Numbers Will Be Reported By New Service - October 18, 2017
- Stan Lee MCU Cameos Get Their Own Funko Pops - October 18, 2017
- Coco Continues To Look Gorgeous In New Clip - October 18, 2017
- LeBron James And Gabrielle Union Team Up For New Sitcom White Dave - October 18, 2017
- Justice League Carried On The Back of The Flash In New Poster - October 18, 2017