Amid a slew of rumors and online controversy, the Overwatch League is pushing forward and have begun the process to finalizing the people and teams involved. Today, Commissioner Nate Nanzer took to YouTube in a video we’ve posted at the bottom to announce the first seven teams that will join the Overwatch League.
Right out of the gate, five of the seven teams are based in the U.S. with only one in Chine and one in South Korea. Starting with the east coast, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft purchased his own team for Boston. Jeff Wilpon, the current COO of the New York Mets will be running a New York City-based team. Down south in Orlando, Ben Spoont, the CEO and co-founder of Misfits Gaming has taken a team. On the west coast, Andy Miller, chairman and founder of NRG Esports has set up a San Francisco-based team. And finally in the U.S., Noah Whinston, CEO of Immortals, will be leading an Los Angeles squad.lizzard’s Chinese partner NetEase runs the Shanghai team while Kevin Chou, co-founder of Kablam, is in charge of Team Seoul.
The two remaining teams will be led first by Blizzard’s Chinese partner NetEase to build a team based out of Shanghai, and Kevin Chou, co-founder of Kablam will be putting together what will probably be one of the most dominant South Korean teams you’ve ever seen, based out of Seoul.
Considering all the complaints that have been coming up from various Overwatch eSports teams and how we’ve seen a few disband in the past few months, this actually may be a really exciting opportunity for many who have found themselves without a team for various reasons. Only time will tell to see what new teams get included and when the draft will kick in.
- 'Overwatch' Game Of The Year Edition Hit Shelves Next Week
- Check Out Our SDCC 'Overwatch' Cosplay Gallery
- Blizzard Finally Announce When Doomfist Will Join 'Overwatch'
- Someone Made Real Sentai Genji Armor From 'Overwatch'!
- 'Overwatch' To Reveal New Punishment System Soon
- Evil Geniuses Disbands Their Overwatch Team Due To Lack Of "Synergy"
- The Overwatch League Is Building A Scouting Report For Their Top Players
- Blizzard Signs Major Third-Party Live Streaming Deal With Twitch
- Blizzard Is Launching A Minor League For 'Overwatch' called "Overwatch Contenders"
- Blizzard Launches Overwatch League For E-Sports
- Splatoon 2’s Next Splatfest Fight: Flight Vs. Invisibility - August 17, 2017
- Twitch Adds In New Integration Tools For Hearthstone & Overwatch - August 17, 2017
- Capcom Releases A New Story Trailer For ‘Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite’ - August 17, 2017
- Imaginarium Studios Debuts ‘Planet Of The Apes: Last Frontier’ - August 17, 2017
- Check Out This Footage Of ‘Mario Kart Arcade GP’ In A VR Arcade - August 17, 2017