Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 11th, the 192nd day of the year.
1804- Aaron Burr kills Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
1914- Babe Ruth makes his MLB debut.
1922- The Hollywood Bowl opens.
1960- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is published in the US.
1997- Contact opens in theaters.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Goof Troop (1993), Prey (2006), and then a whole lot of nothing really. That Goof Troop game was pretty awesome though!
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 2005, Matt Hardy returned to RAW and attacked Edge three months after being let go from the company. The reason? He found out that Edge was sleeping with his girlfriend Amy Dumas aka Lita. The two had been dating for awhile and Matt was out rehabbing a knee injury. While out, Edge and Lita continued to bond and eventually began their affair. It was one of the worst-kept secrets in wrestling, and in an odd twist, Matt Hardy was the one who was fired from the company. Edge was about to win the World title and Lita was the most popular women’s wrestler on the roster, so them being fired was not an option. Matt was on the shelf so it made it easy for them to just brush him aside and avoid the conflict. Three months later when healthy, Matt returned and the two had a very memorable feud. Also today, in 2012 the WWE announced a partnership with social media video app Tout. Aww, remember Tout? This was six months before Vine was introduced and Instagram added video to their app, and the Tout partnership was nixed when the contract ended. And finally, in 2013 the WWE opened the Performance Center in Florida.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2012 we took a look at the various incarnations of the Batmobile over the years.
Happy Cheer Up The Lonely Day!
Have a good Tuesday all! Enjoy the All-Star Game!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 10: The App Store Debuts, Escape From New York Opens, And Happy Birthday Joe Shuster!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 9: Tron Opens, Hogan And Russo Feud, Dylan Records A Classic, Sugar Cookies, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 8: Spice Girls, Lean On Me, The Goblet Of Fire, Nash Tears His Quad, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 7: Hogan Turns Heel, UFO's In Roswell, Sliced Bread, Rocket League, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 6: A Hard Day's Night, Forrest Gump, Goldberg's Big Night, First MLB All-Star Game, Captain EO, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 5: Debut Of The Bikini, Weekend At Bernie's, Arthur Ashe, Pokemon Go!, Ted Williams, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 4: Disneyland Births, Gehrig's Speech, Airplane!, War Games, The Clash, And More!
- Masters Of The Universe Gets A Giant Wave Of Funko Pops - October 19, 2017
- Netflix And Nielsen Are Still Not Friends, As Streaming Numbers Will Be Reported By New Service - October 18, 2017
- Stan Lee MCU Cameos Get Their Own Funko Pops - October 18, 2017
- Coco Continues To Look Gorgeous In New Clip - October 18, 2017
- LeBron James And Gabrielle Union Team Up For New Sitcom White Dave - October 18, 2017