Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 10th, the 191st day of the year.
1914- The Boston Red Sox purchase the contract of Babe Ruth from the Orioles. That worked out well for neither team.
1981- Escape From New York premieres in the US.
1985- Coca-Cola announces that it is doing away with New Coke after only three months.
1999- The US Women’s Soccer team wins the World Cup.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Cool Boarders 3 (1998), Final Fantasy Chronicles (2001), and in 2008 Apple launched the App Store, changing the mobile gaming market forever.
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 1988 the NWA held its Great American Bash for the summer. This was the first that was shown on PPV. It took place in Baltimore, Maryland. The card featured three tag team matches, matches going to time limit draws, and The Midnight Express capturing the NWA United States Tag Team titles. And controversy in the main event, with Ric Flair retaining the NWA title over Lex Luger. Luger had Flair up in the Torture Rack seconds away from winning the match. However, he was bleeding very badly, and the Maryland Athletic Commission stopped the match, Flair retaining as a result.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2014 Brandon Engel took a fantastic look at Michael Crichton‘s Westworld.
Today’s Birthdays include Nikola Tesla inventor (1856), Harvey Ball artist (1921), Fred Gwynne actor (1926), Alice Munro author (1931), Arthur Ashe athlete (1943), Urban Meyer football genius (1964), Sofia Vergara actress (1972), Chiwetel Ejiofor actor (1977)
And a very special Birthday today, as Superman co-creator Joe Shuster! (1914)
The great Mel Blanc passed away on this day in 1989.
And today in Disney history, in 1987 Disney released its greatest film to date (I may be biased), The Brave Little Toaster.
Have a great Monday! Don’t forget the Home Run Derby tonight at 8PM!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 9: Tron Opens, Hogan And Russo Feud, Dylan Records A Classic, Sugar Cookies, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 8: Spice Girls, Lean On Me, The Goblet Of Fire, Nash Tears His Quad, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 7: Hogan Turns Heel, UFO's In Roswell, Sliced Bread, Rocket League, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 6: A Hard Day's Night, Forrest Gump, Goldberg's Big Night, First MLB All-Star Game, Captain EO, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 5: Debut Of The Bikini, Weekend At Bernie's, Arthur Ashe, Pokemon Go!, Ted Williams, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 4: Disneyland Births, Gehrig's Speech, Airplane!, War Games, The Clash, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 3: Back To The Future, Rob Van Dam, 2 Live Crew, Tinkerbell, And More!
- Stranger Things Mystery Minis Are Adorable, Frustrating At The Same Time - October 21, 2017
- Babysitter Review: Campy Fun, Just Don’t Think Too Much - October 21, 2017
- Halloween Comes Back To Theaters All Over The World Next Week - October 20, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok Comes To Marvel Collectors Corps Funko Box - October 20, 2017
- Kratos Is Coming From NECA, And He Looks Fantastic - October 20, 2017