Aidan Gillen, the actor that plays Petyr Baelish — better known as Littlefinger — on Game of Thrones was talking with EW.com about the upcoming season when a fan theory came up. It involves a specific scene from back in Season 2. So the question is: did Baelish recognize Arya Stark (Maisie Williams)?
The scene happened when Littlefinger visited Lord Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance) at Harrenhal. Arya was hiding there as a servant girl. In one scene, Arya spills some wine and Baelish looks at her. They had met before, back in Season 1, but his attention at the time was on her older sister Sansa.
Gillen said of the scene:
“It was unclear if he recognized her or not, but I have my own thoughts on that. Yes, I did recognize her — I just didn’t say anything or do anything about it.”
He didn’t say why he thought that or what purpose it would serve Baelish. He did talk about the upcoming 7th season and how things will go now that he’s come clean with Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) and told her of his ambitions to take the Iron Throne with her has his queen:
“I finished last season on a promising note by laying my cards on the table — at least to Sansa. I was [sowing seeds of doubt about Jon Snow] throughout my appearances in season 6, and, yeah, that will continue. It’s pretty obvious what my game is there. We’re playing out that final exchange in the Great Hall in Winterfell. But the same time my character is becoming quite aware that Sansa is becoming as bright as me and just as wary of my manipulations of her. They’re onto each other. They use each other. They enjoy each other. And they keep a lot from each other. There are all kinds of mixed things going on with Littlefinger and his relationship with Sansa, so watching her grow in stature is quite enjoyable.”
Game of Thrones returns July 16th.
- Game Of Thrones: Sophie Turner Talks Sansa In Season 7
- Writer’s Commentary: Crystal Frasier Talks Pathfinder: Spiral of Bones #1 - March 21, 2018
- Suits Promotes Amanda Schull to Series Regular for Season 8 - March 21, 2018
- Bids to Buy Carolina Panthers Have Reportedly Reached $2.5 Billion - March 21, 2018
- Marvel’s Daredevil Season 3: Jay Ali of The Fosters Joins the Cast - March 21, 2018
- Hallmark Will Debut 34 New Christmas Movies This Year - March 21, 2018