Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on July 4th, the 185th day of the year.
1939: Lou Gehrig makes his famous “Luckiest Man Alive” speech at Yankee Stadium. His was the first number retired in the history of baseball.
1970: American Top 40, hosted by Casey Kassem, debuts on radio in LA.
1976: The Clash play their first live show.
1980: Airplane! hits theaters.
1997: The Pathfinder lands on the surface of Mars.
Today in gaming saw the release of Donkey Kong 3 in Japan (1984), and that is about it. Believe it or not, not a big release day.
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 1987 WCW presented the first War Games match at The Great American Bash, a popular match that the WWE should bring back. In 1993, aboard the USS Intrepid Lex Luger picked up and slammed Yokozuna, setting him off on the Luger Express tour. And in 2005, after teaming up to defeat Kurt Angle and Carlito, Shawn Michaels turns heel and gives Hulk Hogan Sweet Chin Music, settling up their infamous match at SummerSlam that year.
Today’s birthdays include President Calvin Coolidge (1872), Eve Marie Saint actress (1924), Neil Simon playwright (1927), Al Davis football coach/forever owner of the Raiders (1929), and George Steinbrenner businessman/owner of the New York Yankees (1930).
Today in Disney history: in 1979, a child is born while attending the Disneyland park, on a bench behind Plaza Inn. The park later gave the family a Disneyland Birth Certificate labeled as #1. Two other babies have been born in the park since.
If you are in the US, enjoy your July 4th! Eat some hot dogs, watch some baseball, and be safe with your fireworks!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 2: Walmart Opens, Men In Black Debuts, Soulcalibur, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For July 1: Tour de France, Ric Flair Leaves WCW, Scud The Assassin, Terminator 2, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 30: Gone With The Wind, Do The Right Thing, Grand Theft Auto, Miramax, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 29: No-Hitters, Conan, Coming To America, Diablo 2, Money In The Bank, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 28: Hell in a Cell, Tyson Bites Holyfield, KISS Comics Made With Blood, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 27: Dark Shadows, CM Punk's Pipebomb, Frank Cho Outrage, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 26: Harry Potter Turns 20, Full Metal Jacket, Ali Vs Inoki, Mass Effect, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 25: John Cena Debuts, Purple Rain, The Omen, Final Fantasy 7, And More!
- Ramjet Joins The Battle In ‘Transformers: Forged To Fight’ - September 22, 2017
- Celebrate Batman – I Mean Harley Quinn Day Tomorrow With A New Build-A-Bear! - September 22, 2017
- Funko Unveils Second Series Of ‘DC Bombshells’ Pop! Vinyl Figures - September 21, 2017
- The Walking Dead’s Negan Is Coming To Walgreens, Chilling Smirk And All - September 21, 2017
- Nickelodeon Favorites Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, And Rocko Get Funko Pops! - September 20, 2017