Earlier today, Bleeding Cool ran a little gossip about Marvel Comics creators feeling a little out of the loop. As part of the Marvel Legacy rollout over the last few weeks, Marvel has been releasing and promoting comics without creator input.
I’ve also been made aware that a greater concern is Marvel Comics creators being specifically asked not to promote the announced books they are working on. At least, not yet. The creative teams, many of which will remain familiar ones, will be made later, but Marvel doesn’t want to give the full game away yet. Greg Pak‘s name ended up on the Weapon X cover, but that was it. Maybe this Friday?
This is all a marketing plan, for repeated and drip feed excitement and marketing coverage, dropping bombs of information to lead discussion in the week ahead. But it has also left dozens of creators unable to confirm what they’re working on when asked by fans who have read the Marvel Legacy announcements, and it’s not helping signal boost the announcements, either.
Frustration all ’round, I am told. And yes, it’s adding to DC Comics’ appeal, as they have just started their annual recruitment drive.
Maybe then they’ll announce the 53rd ongoing monthly title as a Chris Samnee/Mark Waid Captain America? Will Ta-Nehisi Coates to follow join that announcement, or will that, too, have to wait? If that’s what it is, of course…
- Marvel PR's Andrea Towers Talks Breaking Into Marvel Through Journalism And Those Marvel Legacy Covers
- Marvel Legacy Sneak Peek - Odin, Phoenix And The 1,000,000 BC Avengers
- How Marvel Comics Is Trying To Push Marvel Legacy #1
- DC Comics Looking To Scoop Talent For 2018 In Wake Of Marvel Legacy Misfire
- Marvel Legacy Covers And Titles Were As Much A Surprise To Marvel Creators As To The Fans
- Image Comics, Howard Chaykin Issue Apology, Pull Cover For Divided States Of Hysteria #4
- NYCC Goss: Venom and Spider-Man Events for 2019 - October 23, 2018
- NYCC Goss: What Has Salvador Larroca Been Working on at Marvel? - October 23, 2018
- Nancy Silberkleit Pays Tribute to Archie’s Editor-In-Chief Victor Gorelick - October 23, 2018
- Max Bemis on Writing Moon Knight #200 and Taking a Break From Marvel - October 23, 2018
- Doctor Who and Assassin’s Creed With Titan at MCM London Comic Con - October 23, 2018