This article contains spoilers for the finale of Doctor Who Season 10, The Doctor Falls.
After the first half of the Doctor Who Season 10 finale aired last week, ending on a cliffhanger with Bill converted to a Cyberman, the joke in some circles of the show’s fandom was that Bill would escape this conundrum somehow in last night’s final episode. But only the most cynical of fans would have believed that Bill would get a reprieve so similar to Clara’s. That’s exactly what happened, though, and outgoing showrunner Steven Moffat explained why he wouldn’t kill her off in an interview with Doctor Who: The Fan Show.
“Well, I don’t think she is dead,” Moffat said when asked about the ending. “She doesn’t die.”
Moffat continued, aware of the criticism he’s likely receiving right now on Reddit:
“I’ll just say this and I’ll get into terrible trouble with certain people. I don’t think Doctor Who is that kind of show. Doctor Who is a big-hearted, optimistic show that believes in kindness and love and that wisdom will triumph in the end. I don’t believe it’s the kind of show that says there are bitter, twisted, nasty endings because it’s not. It’s not gritty; it’s aspirational. It says, ‘It can work. And wisdom and kindness will triumph. And love will always come through in the end.’ I think there aren’t enough people or enough shows saying that and I’m damned if Doctor Who is going to join in with the general chorus of despair.”
“So, she doesn’t die. She nearly dies. She nearly dies and she becomes something else. And we leave it in such a way that — again, I don’t know [about] future plans, I’ve kept away from them — I put it such that, because Heather does say look I can put you back on Earth if you want to go back and make chips, she could. So any of those are [a possibility]. I kinda think in my head she flies around the universe with Heather. That’s what she does.”
What do you think? Did he make the right choice?
Watch the full interview with Moffat and Rachel Talalay below.
- Doctor Who Showrunner Steven Moffat Talks Missy's Alternate Ending, Wants To Ban Gender Pronouns (SPOILERS)
- Lying In The Gutters - 2nd July 2017 - A Legacy For Marvel, DC, Doctor Who And Howard Chaykin
- SDCC 2017: Capaldi's Final Bow For 'Doctor Who'; 'Dirk Gently' Debuts
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: The Doctor Falls: Always Read The Comments
- The New Face Of The Doctor From Doctor Who: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018