By Devon Sanders
In five short years, Washington DC’s Awesome Con, a three day event, has become a destination convention for the pop culture obsessed.
Awesome Con went all out this year with guests encompassing nearly the entirety of geekdom. Attending this year were the Batman team of writer Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo, WWE Champions Charlotte Flair and Shinsuke Nakamura, actor and The Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, writer/director Edgar Wright and Guest of Honor, Stan Lee and you could tell just by their presence, things were different. Things were changing.
As I walked around the packed Walter E. Washington Convention Center floor, it dawned on me that Awesome Con is a con on the verge of something. There was an energy at the convention that wasn’t quite there before. It could very well be on its way to becoming the next New York Comic-Con.
Hell, maybe even San Diego.
You could hear a palpable excitement about the realized potential of things mixed in with frustrations from longtime con-goers about the scope of the con’s expansion in its five short years.
You can please everyone but you can give everyone something, even if it’s something to agree or disagree on. Wherever you are in the spectrum, it’s hard to deny how much Awesome Con has become a much-needed, welcome and more importantly, welcoming showcase of Washington DC-area fandom.
- Matthew Rosenberg to Write New Multiple Man Comic for Marvel? - February 24, 2018
- 9 Exclusive Retailer Covers from Marvel for April 2018 - February 24, 2018
- Filip Sablik and Ross Richie Address ComicsPRO on BOOM! Studios as a Premier Publisher at Diamond - February 23, 2018
- Publishing Dates for DC Zoom and DC Ink Titles Locked Down - February 23, 2018
- Dynamite Entertainment to Become a Premier Publisher at Diamond Comics (CONFIRMED) - February 23, 2018