By Devon Sanders
In five short years, Washington DC’s Awesome Con, a three day event, has become a destination convention for the pop culture obsessed.
Awesome Con went all out this year with guests encompassing nearly the entirety of geekdom. Attending this year were the Batman team of writer Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo, WWE Champions Charlotte Flair and Shinsuke Nakamura, actor and The Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, writer/director Edgar Wright and Guest of Honor, Stan Lee and you could tell just by their presence, things were different. Things were changing.
As I walked around the packed Walter E. Washington Convention Center floor, it dawned on me that Awesome Con is a con on the verge of something. There was an energy at the convention that wasn’t quite there before. It could very well be on its way to becoming the next New York Comic-Con.
Hell, maybe even San Diego.
You could hear a palpable excitement about the realized potential of things mixed in with frustrations from longtime con-goers about the scope of the con’s expansion in its five short years.
You can please everyone but you can give everyone something, even if it’s something to agree or disagree on. Wherever you are in the spectrum, it’s hard to deny how much Awesome Con has become a much-needed, welcome and more importantly, welcoming showcase of Washington DC-area fandom.
- The Daily LITG – 21st October 2018 – Happy Birthday Paul Levitz - October 21, 2018
- The Other History Of The DC Universe by John Ridley Vs Glory Scroll/Black Reign by Michael Davis - October 20, 2018
- Why 5 Kid Comics of California May Be Closing Down - October 20, 2018
- Gary Reed’s Final Comic, Savants, to See Print in 2019 - October 20, 2018
- In Depth Look at This Yu-Gi-Oh! Thing the Kids Go On About – Part Three - October 20, 2018