By Devon Sanders
In five short years, Washington DC’s Awesome Con, a three day event, has become a destination convention for the pop culture obsessed.
Awesome Con went all out this year with guests encompassing nearly the entirety of geekdom. Attending this year were the Batman team of writer Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo, WWE Champions Charlotte Flair and Shinsuke Nakamura, actor and The Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, writer/director Edgar Wright and Guest of Honor, Stan Lee and you could tell just by their presence, things were different. Things were changing.
As I walked around the packed Walter E. Washington Convention Center floor, it dawned on me that Awesome Con is a con on the verge of something. There was an energy at the convention that wasn’t quite there before. It could very well be on its way to becoming the next New York Comic-Con.
Hell, maybe even San Diego.
You could hear a palpable excitement about the realized potential of things mixed in with frustrations from longtime con-goers about the scope of the con’s expansion in its five short years.
You can please everyone but you can give everyone something, even if it’s something to agree or disagree on. Wherever you are in the spectrum, it’s hard to deny how much Awesome Con has become a much-needed, welcome and more importantly, welcoming showcase of Washington DC-area fandom.
- Ron Lim to Join Tini Howard and Chris Sprouse on Captain America Annual #1 - August 16, 2018
- Did You Remember the Town of Lago from Astonishing X-Men Annual #1? - August 16, 2018
- Keith Allen Begins Rehearsals for Hogarth Double Bill Stage Play in Kingston - August 16, 2018
- Uber: Invasion and Cinema Purgatorio in Avatar Press November 2018 Solicits - August 16, 2018
- Matt Brady Returns to Comics, and Somehow Bleeding Cool Has the Scoop - August 16, 2018