Over the weekend at Awesome Con 2017, I had the honor of meeting, and interviewing, Joe Sergi from the CBLDF. He held a few panels over the weekend, one of which was the History of Comics. As I said in that article, I wish that panel had gone on for longer. It was honestly a real treat to watch. Thankfully I got to talk to Joe after the panel about a few things. Comics after World War II. Dan DeCarlo and Archie Comics. What up and coming writers should know. To be fair, I could talk and listen to Joe for hours. If you ever get a chance to see a panel of his at a con, do so! It is absolutely worth your time!
Joe Sergi writes on the history of comics and censorship for the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. Joe is an attorney and a Haller Award winning author who has written articles, novels, short stories, and comic books in the horror, scifi, and young adult genres. His first novel, Sky Girl and the Superheroic Legacy was selected Best of 2010 by the New PODler Review. The second book in the series, Sky Girl and the Superheroic Adventures, was released this year from Martin Sisters Publishing.
Since the creation of the comic book, cases of legal conflict and confusion have often arisen where concepts such as public domain, unincorporated entities and moral rights are involved. As a result, comics creators are frequently concerned about whether they are protecting themselves. There are many questions and no single place to find the answers–that is, until now. Entertaining as it instructs, this book seeks to provide those answers, examining the legal history of comics and presenting information in a way that is understandable to everyone. While not seeking to provide legal advice, this book presents the legal background in plain English, and looks at the stories behind the cases. Every lawsuit has a story and every case has lessons to be learned. As these lessons are explored, the reader will learn the importance of contracts, the basics of copyright and trademark, the precautions necessary when working with public domain characters and the effects of censorship.
- The History Of Comics At AwesomeCon 2017!
- Comics, Censorship, And Turmoil At The Border - The CBLDF Panel Report From C2E2
- CBLDF Calls President Trump's Media Attacks A Threat To Our Democracy
- CBLDF Signs Up to Oppose The Donald Trump Travel ban
- CBLDF Tackles New Hampshire Bill That Would Restrict Reading In Schools
- Joonas Suotamo, Chewie Himself, Visits Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ Star Wars Offerings - April 25, 2018
- The Guardians of the Galaxy are Coming to Disney’s Epcot June 9th - April 25, 2018
- When the Superhero Shows up After the End of the World: Kamikaze - April 25, 2018
- Meet the Creators Behind the New Harveys Steamboat Willie Line at Disney Springs - April 25, 2018
- CinemaCon 2018: Join Bleeding Cool’s Focus Features Presentation LIVE-BLOG! - April 25, 2018