Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on June 18th, the 169th day of the year.
1967- The final day of performances at The Monterey Pop Festival takes place, featuring performances by Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Janis Joplin, and The Grateful Dead.
1983- Sally Ride becomes the first US astronaut to fly into orbit, aboard the Challenger.
2005- David Tennant makes his first appearance as The Doctor on the episode “The Parting of the Ways”.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter in Japan (1997), Twisted Metal: Black (2001), Cruise Ship Tycoon (2003), Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (2004), Pokemon Conquest (2012). And in 2007, EA officially split into four parts: Sports, Games, Casual Entertainment, and The Sims.
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 2001 Diamond Dallas Page made his WWE debut as the man who had been stalking the Undertaker’s wife (they can’t all be winners). And in 2005, in Ring of Honor, even though he was leaving for the WWE, CM Punk won the ROH Title by defeating Austin Aries. Turning heel, it would kick off what is called “The Summer of Punk”. He not only threatened to show up in WWE and lay the ROH title at the feet of Vince McMahon (a big no-no, ask Medusa), but even signed his WWE contract on top of the ROH Title. He would eventually lose it before leaving for WWE in August.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2014 Mark Seifert wrote about the secret origins of popular fiction in America, and it is awesome. Read this.
Today’s Birthdays include James Montgomery Flagg artist/Uncle Sam poster (1877), Roger Ebert film critic (1942), Paul McCartney musician (1942), Bruiser Brody professional wrestler (1946), Richard Madden actor (1986)
Today in Disney history, in 1999 Disney’s Tarzan is released into theaters, and in 2010 Toy Story 3 was also released into theaters.
Have a great Sunday, and a Happy Father’s Day to all my fellow Dad’s out there, including my own!
- 'Pokémon GO' Teasing Something Big For Their Anniversary
- Niantic Reveals Raid Battles & New Gym Features For 'Pokémon GO'
- Today In Pop Culture For June 17: Moneyball, Brandy, Terry Funk, Kendrick Lamar, Curt Swan, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 16: Pepsi, Cracker Jack, Zelda, Pokemon, Lady And The Tramp, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 15: Movies Galore, Neal Adams, Trump Buys Raw, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 14: Michael Jordan, The Last of Us, Money In The Bank, And More!
- This Day In Pop Culture – June 13: Friday The 13th, ECW, Sewing Machine Day, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 12: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Donald Duck, Al Capone, Metal Gear Solid 4, and More!
- Stranger Things Mystery Minis Are Adorable, Frustrating At The Same Time - October 21, 2017
- Babysitter Review: Campy Fun, Just Don’t Think Too Much - October 21, 2017
- Halloween Comes Back To Theaters All Over The World Next Week - October 20, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok Comes To Marvel Collectors Corps Funko Box - October 20, 2017
- Kratos Is Coming From NECA, And He Looks Fantastic - October 20, 2017