Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on June 17th, the 168th day of the year.
1885– The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor.
1954- Rocky Marciano defeats Ezzard Charles for the Heavyweight Championship of the world.
1972- “Brandy” by The Looking Glass is released.
1989- New Kids on the Block hit Number 1 with “I’ll Be Loving You Forever”.
1994- O.J. Simpson leads police on a car chase in a white Bronco.
2003- Moneyball by Bill James is published, kicking off the obsession with sabermetrics in baseball.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Edition (2001), Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II (2003), and UFC (2014) that also featured Bruce Lee as a playable character.
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 1985 at a TV taping in Poughkeepsie, New York two legends made their WWF debut, as Terry Funk and Randy Savage made their promotion debuts. Funk of course has made his name being the “Hardcore Legend”, throwing caution to the wind and putting his body through torture all over the world for our enjoyment. His long-standing feud with Mick Foley will never be topped as far as violence is concerned. Randy Savage of course has been covered here multiple times. He is simply one of the greatest.
Today’s Birthday’s include M.C. Escher artist (1898), Wally Wood comics legend (1927), Barry Manilow musician (1943), Thomas Hayden Church actor (1960), Greg Kinnear actor (1963), Will Forte actor/comedian (1970), Kendrick Lamar musician (1987)
Sadly today, we also lost comics legend Curt Swan in 1996. For my money when I close my eyes and think of Superman, his version is the one I see.
Today in Disney history, in 1971 Valerie Suldo becomes the 100 millionth guest to enter Disneyland. And in 2005 Disney released the classic Howl’s Moving Castle into theaters in the US.
Enjoy your Saturday everyone! Seek out some jugglers!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 16: Pepsi, Cracker Jack, Zelda, Pokemon, Lady And The Tramp, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 15: Movies Galore, Neal Adams, Trump Buys Raw, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 14: Michael Jordan, The Last of Us, Money In The Bank, And More!
- This Day In Pop Culture – June 13: Friday The 13th, ECW, Sewing Machine Day, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 12: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Donald Duck, Al Capone, Metal Gear Solid 4, and More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 11: Jurassic Park, Gameboy Advance, ECW One Night Stand, Corn On The Cob, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 10- The Sopranos Finale, New 52, National Iced Tea Day, Walt Disney's Housekeeper, And More!
- Stranger Things Mystery Minis Are Adorable, Frustrating At The Same Time - October 21, 2017
- Babysitter Review: Campy Fun, Just Don’t Think Too Much - October 21, 2017
- Halloween Comes Back To Theaters All Over The World Next Week - October 20, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok Comes To Marvel Collectors Corps Funko Box - October 20, 2017
- Kratos Is Coming From NECA, And He Looks Fantastic - October 20, 2017