In August, Dark Nights: Metal will hit stores from Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, featuring this recently revealed first issue cover:
The cover is one Capullo says he had to “fight DC over,” and though he didn’t reveal why, we have to assume it’s because the cover, which uses the Justice League members in the shape of a hand making the devil horns gesture, is a potential violation of the recently filed trademark for that gesture by Gene Simmons.
But the notoriously greed KISS co-founder isn’t the only one who could potentially stake a claim to the idea behind the cover. Using members of the Justice League as fingers is a concept that dates all the way back to 1962, when Felix Faust made his first comic book appearance in Justice League of America #10:
Faust isn’t make devil horns in the picture, probably because Gene Simmons hadn’t invented the gesture yet, but cover artist Murphy Anderson is clearly representing the members of the Justice League as fingers, just like on Dark Nights: Metal #1.
So we’ll leave it up to you, the readers, to decide:
Separated at Birth: Metal #1 cover and Justice League of America #10
- Separated At Birth: Doctor Who, Action Comics And Dark Days: The Forge Spoilers
- Separated At Birth: Is That Dementors From Harry Potter In Marvel's All-New Guardians Of The Galaxy #2? (SPOILERS)
- Separated At Birth: Lovecraft And Tesla... And Elsewhere?
- Separated At Birth: Hydra Cap From Secret Empire #10 And The Civil Warrior From Contest Of Champions
- Separated At Birth? Hydra Superior Octopus and Neo-Nazi Richard Spencer
- Separated At Birth: Paramount's Monster Trucks And Greg Capullo's The Creech
- Jim Ross And Lita Will Be The Announcers For WWE’s May Young Classic Women’s Tournament - June 26, 2017
- Could A Major Attitude Era Star Be Returning To WWE RAW Tonight? - June 26, 2017
- Drake Bell Continues Teasing DC Role On Twitter; Could It Be Nightwing On ‘Titans’? - June 26, 2017
- Uh Oh: Ron Howard Once Defended Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Calling It “Truly Amazing” - June 26, 2017
- See A (Sort-Of) EXCLUSIVE Preview Of IDW’s “New” Star Wars: The Force Awakens Young Reader Graphic Novel - June 26, 2017