Dunkirk is one of those movies that seems like it was made to be shot in IMAX. Director Christopher Nolan is very fond of using IMAX cameras and using them very well. In the case of Dunkirk the IMAX is there to make everything feel like it’s closing in because that’s how it was during the real battle.
The battle of Dunkirk was an evacuation of 400,000 Allied and British forces, who were completely surrounded on all sides, from the beaches of Dunkirk, France. It took place between late May to early June of 1940.
Nolan filmed a majority of the movie on 15perf 65m film cameras which are being called the “highest resolution cameras in the world.” Additionally they also used a lot of hand held IMAX camera work that they first did in Interstellar. By using these techniques audiences who see Dunkirk in IMAX will be able to see up to 40% more of the image than they would on a normal screen. Nolan isn’t just crafting a movie that will be better for IMAX; he’s creating one that needs to be seen in IMAX to even get the complete experience.
There are movies that are enhanced by IMAX. Everest and The Walk were two examples where the IMAX was enough to physically change the experience for some people. You’ll want to see this one in IMAX now we just have to wait and see if the movie is going to be worth that hefty investment. IMAX tickets aren’t cheap and you need a really good movie to justify that kind of purchase.
Summary: Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada, and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.
Dunkirk will be directed by Christopher Nolan and stars Tom Hardy Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh, James D’Arcy, and Mark Rylance. It will be released on July 21, 2017.
- Dunkirk Review: A Masterpiece In Simple Elegance
- New Poster And TV Spot For 'Dunkirk'
- Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' On The Cover Of Total Film
- [Sundance 2018] The Guilty Review: A Game of Telephone That Doesn’t Quite Connect - January 19, 2018
- [Sundance 2018] Our New President Review: A Terrifying Montage of Russian Propaganda - January 19, 2018
- It’s Jaeger vs. Jaeger in New Pacific Rim Uprising Images - January 18, 2018
- The Writer of The Jungle Book 2 Gives an Update on the Movie - January 18, 2018
- New Tomb Raider Trailer Drops Tomorrow — Here’s a Teaser - January 17, 2018