Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on June 16th, the 167th day of the year.
1884- The first roller coaster in the US opens.
1893- Cracker Jack is invented.
1903- Pepsi is incorporated.
1963- Soviet Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman in space.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Pokemon Yellow in the UK (2000), Ghostbusters: The Video Game (2009), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D in Japan (2011)
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 1996 at The Great American Bash, Eric Bischoff was powerbombed off the soundstage by Kevin Nash after an interview with Nash and his tag team partner Scott Hall. The two were still staying out of ring action after showing up on WCW programming the month before. Also notable is how they empthasized that they were no longer WWF employees, due to fans thinking they were still under contract there and invading a rival company.
Today in Bleeding Cool, in 2011 DC Comics Dan DiDio confirmed that Superman and Lois Lane were no longer married in the New 52 universe.
Today’s Birthdays include Katherine Graham publisher (1917), Joyce Carol Oates author (1938), Ultimate Warrior professional wrestler (1959), The Sandman professional wrestler (1963), Phil Mickelson athlete (1970), Tupac Shakur musician/actor (1971)
Today we also remember the first onscreen Superman George Reeves, who passed away today in 1959.
Get your fill today, as it is Fresh Veggies Day!
Today in Disney history, in 1934 the Mickey Mouse short Mickey’s Steamroller premiered, in 1955 Lady and The Tramp debuted in Chicago, in 1961 Disney bought the film rights to Winnie The Pooh, and in 2000 Fantasia 2000 opened in theaters.
Have a great Friday and a great weekend everybody!
- Niantic Reveals Raid Battles & New Gym Features For 'Pokémon GO'
- 'Pokémon Sun and Moon' Finally Gives Us Some Details On Marshadow
- Today In Pop Culture For June 15: Movies Galore, Neal Adams, Trump Buys Raw, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 14: Michael Jordan, The Last of Us, Money In The Bank, And More!
- This Day In Pop Culture – June 13: Friday The 13th, ECW, Sewing Machine Day, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 12: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Donald Duck, Al Capone, Metal Gear Solid 4, and More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 11: Jurassic Park, Gameboy Advance, ECW One Night Stand, Corn On The Cob, And More!
- Conan Funko Pops Are Invading SDCC Yet Again - June 24, 2017
- Spider-Man Wooden Push Puppet Swinging into SDCC - June 24, 2017
- Today In Pop Culture For June 24: Mike Wieringo, James Bond, The Lion King, And More! - June 24, 2017
- The Emperor Gets The Coolest Statue Ever From Kotobukiya - June 23, 2017
- Mattel SDCC Exclusives: Heavy on DC, Hot Wheels. No WWE? - June 23, 2017