Netflix latest promotional video is really kind of odd. It’s a viral video set up for the film Okja which looks to be a commercial featuring Lucy Mirando (Tilda Swinton) that is hacked by the Animal Liberation Front. The ALF includes Red (Lily Collins), Jay (Paul Dano), Silver (Devon Bostick) and K (Steven Yeun) who break into the feed and claim to know who Mirando really is and call her a monster. Though K gets called out for being a bit too misogynistic. They call this a Featurette, but I don’t think that’s quite what it is and they are very free with the curse words so… NSFW.
Okja is the story of Mija (Seo-Hyun Anh) who is willing to risk anything to stop an giant corporation from capturing a massive animal named Okja. Which could easily be the plot for a children’s animated feature, this seems very different. This is written and directed by Bong Joon Ho who also wrote Snowpiercer, another Tilda Swinton movie.
Netflix’s official synopsis: For 10 idyllic years, young Mija (An Seo Hyun) has been caretaker and constant companion to Okja-a massive animal and an even bigger friend-at her home in the mountains of South Korea. But that changes when a family-owned multinational conglomerate Mirando Corporation takes Okja for themselves and transports her to New York, where image obsessed and self-promoting CEO Lucy Mirando (Tilda Swinton) has big plans for Mija’s dearest friend. With no particular plan but single-minded in intent, Mija sets out on a rescue mission, but her already daunting journey quickly becomes more complicated when she crosses paths with disparate groups of capitalists, demonstrators and consumers, each battling to control the fate of Okja…while all Mija wants to do is bring her friend home.
Today’s ‘featurette’ ties into the video they released on April 27th that you can see below.
Okja premiers June 28th on Netflix.
- Colorful Character Posters For Netflix's 'Okja'
- Ray Donovan Gets A Sixth Season And A Move To New York - October 23, 2017
- Supergirl Season 3: Inside The Episode ‘Far From The Tree’ - October 23, 2017
- CNN Launches New ‘Facts First’ Ad Campaign To Answer Fake News Claims - October 23, 2017
- Writer’s Commentary: Paul Cornell And Jeremy Whitley Talk Vampirella #7 - October 23, 2017
- Shannara Chronicles Season 2: Magic Is A Gift That Comes With A Price - October 23, 2017