Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on June 15th, the 166th day of the year.
1965- Bob Dylan records “Like A Rolling Stone”
1967- The Dirty Dozen opens in theaters.
1990- Dick Tracy debuts in theaters.
1992- Dan Quayle misspells the word “potato” in an elementary school spelling bee.
2005- Batman Begins opens up in theaters.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007), Mario Clock (2009), Toy Story 3: The Game (2010), Final Fantasy IX on PSN (2010)
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 2009 Donald Trump “purchased” Monday Night Raw from Vince McMahon. Yeah, it is stupid even now. Vince sold it to Trump after he made “an offer I couldn’t refuse”. The crowd wasn’t having it at all, booing the entire segment. He then announced Raw would be presented commercial free for the first time ever the following week. that got them on his side. USA Network even issued a fake press release about the sale (why do they do this? Remember the other day when Vince “died”? Why didn’t they learn…oh yeah this was the year before). The following week was terrible, with Trump appearing and horrible skits instead of commercials and Vince kayfabe buying Raw back for double what he paid. Sigh…sometimes being a wrestling fan is hard.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2013 we ran a delightful interview with Phil Hester looking at his entire comics career.
Today’s Birthdays include Ross Andru artist (1927), Waylon Jennings musician (1937), Neal Adams artist (1941), Helen Hunt actress (1963), Courteney Cox actress (1964), Ice Cube musician/actor (1969), Leah Remini actress (1970), Neil Patrick Harris actor/performer (1973)
Today in Disney history, in 1994 the classic The Lion King opened in theaters. And in 1967, the secret Club 33 opens at 33 Royal Street in New Orleans Square in Disneyland.
Have a great Thursday everyone!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 14: Michael Jordan, The Last of Us, Money In The Bank, And More!
- This Day In Pop Culture – June 13: Friday The 13th, ECW, Sewing Machine Day, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 12: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Donald Duck, Al Capone, Metal Gear Solid 4, and More!
- Today In Pop Culture – June 11: Jurassic Park, Gameboy Advance, ECW One Night Stand, Corn On The Cob, And More!
- Conan Funko Pops Are Invading SDCC Yet Again - June 24, 2017
- Spider-Man Wooden Push Puppet Swinging into SDCC - June 24, 2017
- Today In Pop Culture For June 24: Mike Wieringo, James Bond, The Lion King, And More! - June 24, 2017
- The Emperor Gets The Coolest Statue Ever From Kotobukiya - June 23, 2017
- Mattel SDCC Exclusives: Heavy on DC, Hot Wheels. No WWE? - June 23, 2017