This trailer for Okja is just making me hate every single critic who got to see this movie at Cannes. This is one of the Netflix original movies that has the potential to make a real difference when it comes to movies as a whole. While the Netflix movies have been good there haven’t been any that have reached “critical acclaim” yet and Okja is looking to set that right. After begrudgingly being accepted by Cannes it became infamous online for a “mistake” during the screening when it was shown in the wrong aspect ratio. This was after a majority of Cannes pitched a fit about the movie being there at all so we have to wonder how much of a mistake it really was.
That being said this movie still looks fantastic. The titular Okja still looks like a cross between a giant pig, a giant dog, and a giant cat. The mannerisms are close enough to a real animal that while it is something that doesn’t exist in this world it still looks real. Leading lady Seo-Hyun Ahn really sells the fact that there is something in front of her, a real creature she cares about, when in reality it was likely just a huge green screened block of wood. That kind of acting is hard to pull off for adults but for a young woman who has almost no experience it means that good things are on the way for this girl. The supporting cast continues to look fantastic and this world that Bong Joon Ho has created looks great. Put this one in my eyes.
Summary: Meet Mija, a young girl who risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend – a massive animal named Okja.
Okja, directed by Bong Joon Ho, stars Tilda Swinton, Paul Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn, Hee-Bong Byun, Steven Yeun, and Lilly Collins. It will stream to Netflix on June 28, 2017
- Colorful Character Posters For Netflix's 'Okja'
- Sean Gunn Talks Working With The Russo Brothers On Avengers: Infinity War - August 17, 2017
- How ‘Shazam!’ Director David F. Sandberg Is Dealing With Fan Expectations - August 17, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Rian Johnson Trusted His Inner Fan - August 17, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Rian Johnson: “It Was The Most Fun I’ve Ever Had Writing” - August 16, 2017
- Cosmic Marvel Universe Will Be Different From Guardians Of The Galaxy - August 16, 2017