This trailer for Okja is just making me hate every single critic who got to see this movie at Cannes. This is one of the Netflix original movies that has the potential to make a real difference when it comes to movies as a whole. While the Netflix movies have been good there haven’t been any that have reached “critical acclaim” yet and Okja is looking to set that right. After begrudgingly being accepted by Cannes it became infamous online for a “mistake” during the screening when it was shown in the wrong aspect ratio. This was after a majority of Cannes pitched a fit about the movie being there at all so we have to wonder how much of a mistake it really was.
That being said this movie still looks fantastic. The titular Okja still looks like a cross between a giant pig, a giant dog, and a giant cat. The mannerisms are close enough to a real animal that while it is something that doesn’t exist in this world it still looks real. Leading lady Seo-Hyun Ahn really sells the fact that there is something in front of her, a real creature she cares about, when in reality it was likely just a huge green screened block of wood. That kind of acting is hard to pull off for adults but for a young woman who has almost no experience it means that good things are on the way for this girl. The supporting cast continues to look fantastic and this world that Bong Joon Ho has created looks great. Put this one in my eyes.
Summary: Meet Mija, a young girl who risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend – a massive animal named Okja.
Okja, directed by Bong Joon Ho, stars Tilda Swinton, Paul Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn, Hee-Bong Byun, Steven Yeun, and Lilly Collins. It will stream to Netflix on June 28, 2017
- ‘Godzilla: King Of The Monsters’ Director Tweets Call Sheet Listing Mothra, Rodan, And King Ghidorah - June 26, 2017
- Tom Holland Tries To Trick Us Into Watching ‘Iron Man 2’ Again By Confirming Fan Theory - June 26, 2017
- Patty Jenkins Thinks We Shouldn’t Compare Joss Whedon’s ‘Wonder Woman’ Script To Hers - June 26, 2017
- Deadpool 2: T.J. Miller Teases Possible Weasel And Dopinder Storyline - June 26, 2017
- The PG-13 Rating Hurt ‘Power Rangers’ According To Its Director - June 25, 2017