We’re learning a little more about Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk every day. This is a movie that’s either going to be the sleeper hit of the summer or no one is going to remember it. There isn’t enough time in the release schedule for it to be anything else. EmpireKenneth Branagh is an actor and director who doesn’t usually get the credit he deserves for being really, really good. He’s playing the lead in the upcoming Murder on the Orient Express but he also has a considerable role here as Commander Bolton. He’s playing a man trying to figure out the logistics of an evacuation and that proved grueling.
“In terms of film comforts, there were none,” he tells Empire in the new issue. “Once you put on the costume and went out there, that’s where you stayed. There’s no sitting about or checking out at all… I mean, Chris doesn’t sit down. Nobody else sits down. Nobody gets a cup of tea…” He laughs. “He has a rather puritanical sort of determination to fight anything that brings a bit of movie softness to the experience.”
Things weren’t much better for popstar Harry Styles who is making his acting debut. Styles had to auditioned and talked about how he was getting blasted in the face with sand and bone cold wind. Then he had to get into the freezing cold ocean.
“The toughest days were the ones in the water,” Styles says. “But at least it meant you didn’t have to act cold. By making it real and having things blow up around you and stuff, you get those natural reactions.”
The comment about the cold water sounds similar to things various cast members of Titanic said as well. Empire will have more information about Dunkirk in their next issue.
Summary: Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada, and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.
Dunkirk will be directed by Christopher Nolan and stars Tom Hardy Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh, James D’Arcy, and Mark Rylance. It will be released on July 21, 2017.
- New Poster And TV Spot For 'Dunkirk'
- Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' On The Cover Of Total Film
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Rian Johnson Trusted His Inner Fan - August 17, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Rian Johnson: “It Was The Most Fun I’ve Ever Had Writing” - August 16, 2017
- Cosmic Marvel Universe Will Be Different From Guardians Of The Galaxy - August 16, 2017
- New Thor: Ragnarok International Trailer Features Doctor Strange - August 16, 2017
- Christoper McQuarrie Says Tom Cruise’s Injury Won’t Affect M:I6 Release Date - August 16, 2017