This weekend, Dan Aykroyd appeared on U.K.’s show Sunday Brunch and trashed Ghostbusters: Answer The Call director Paul Feig, claiming that the director refused to listen to the advice of producers, spent tens of millions of dollars on reshoots, and ruined the film’s chances of a sequel, making him no longer welcome at Sony. Aykroyd said Sunday:
“[Ghostbusters] made a lot of money around the world but just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad. The director, he spent too much on it. He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him and several scenes that were going to be needed and he said, ‘Nah, we don’t need them.’ Then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back. About $30 to $40-million in reshoots. So he will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon.”
Later that day, Sony issued a statement partially refuting his claims, saying the reshoots cost $3-4 million, ten times less than Aykroyd suggested. Interestingly, the studio didn’t address his other points, including the claim that Feig is no longer welcome there.
Now, Aykroyd has taken to Facebook to clarify his statement, complimenting Feig and admitting that budgets weren’t a concern, saying, “Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it.”
But the feisty former Ghostbusters star immediately followed that up by reiterating his complaint that Feig didn’t listen to the franchise’s creators, including (or perhaps especially) Aykroyd himself, and saying that Feig’s failing to do so cost the film’s cast the chance to reprise their roles in the future. Aykroyd posted:
“We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad.”
Feig has yet to fire back at Aykroyd on social media, but we wonder how long he’ll be able to resist if Aykroyd keeps taking shots at him. Then we’ll have a real Fanboy Rampage on our hands.