Welcome to This Day in Pop Culture History, our daily look at important events, birthdays, and other oddities in pop culture! History is important, and we aim to educate here at Bleeding Cool. So without further ado, here are some things that happened on June 3rd, the 154th day of the year.
1888- “Casey at the Bat” is published. Here is James Earl Jones reading it.
1967- Aretha Franklin‘s hit “Respect” hits Number 1.
1988- Big opens in theaters.
Today in gaming history saw the release of Midnight Club II (2003), The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon (2003), LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (2008).
Our own Maddie Ricchiuto comments:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind remains the series’ defining installment, despite it being fifteen years old. That said, Bloodmoon was definitely the weaker of the two installments. Werewolves? Okay, I guess. But not going to beat the Tribunal expansion with Sotha Sil and Almalexia. Who doesn’t want to meet literal gods, right?
Today in Pro Wrestling history, in 2004, TNA taped the inaugural episode of Impact. At the time, TNA mostly just did PPV’s, and then signed a one-year deal with Fox Sports Net to air on Friday afternoons. This episode would also debut some of the differnt things TNA experimented with to set themselves apart, like the six-sided ring, and time limits on matches. 10 minutes for non-title matches, 30 minutes for title matches. If a match did not finish in the time allotted, judges would decide on the winner.The main event saw AJ Styles defeat Chris Saban, Elix Skipper, and Michael Shane and earn a TNA X Division Title match.
Today in Bleeding Cool history, in 2014 Dave Sim penned a fantastic letter to people who pirated his Cerebus comic.
Today’s Birthdays include Tony Curtis actor (1925), Allen Ginsberg poet/author (1926), Chuck Barris game show host (1929), Larry McMurtry author (1936), Anderson Cooper journalist (1967), Rafael Nadal athlete (1986)
Get out and moving to celebrate National Trail Day!
Today in Disney history, in 1949 the Donald Duck short Winter Storage featuring Chip ‘n’ Dale premieres. And in 2011, the Disneyland version of Star Tours opens officially.
Everyone enjoy your Saturday everyone!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 2: Dead Poets Society, Babe Ruth, Honky Tonk Man, Tekken 7, National Donut Day, And More!
- Today In Pop Culture For June 1: Lou Gehrig, Sgt. Pepper, CNN, SNES Star Wars, Tom Holland, And Mickey Mouse Watches!
- Today In Pop Culture For May 31...Madison Square Garden, Archie, Sex Pistols, Halo 2, Buzz Lightyear, And The New 52!
- Today In Pop Culture For May 30: Indy 500, Finding Nemo, Kingdom Hearts, Jake Roberts, Mel Blanc And More!
- On This Day In Pop Culture – May 29
- Star Trek Is Now Getting The Loot Crate Treatment - August 23, 2017
- Felicity Smoak Will Join The Flash For Crossover, Just Like Always - August 21, 2017
- New Day, The Purveyors Of Positivity, Dress As Red Lanterns At SummerSlam - August 20, 2017
- Mark Wahlberg To Attend Hascon In September, Because Of Course He Is - August 18, 2017
- Unboxing The Funko Marvel Collectors Corps First Appearance Avengers Box - August 17, 2017