Christopher Nolan’s upcoming war movie Dunkirk feels like the movie that everyone keeps forgetting is coming out this year. The summer movie season gets more and more packed every year that often movies start to fall through the cracks. This might be one but the marketing appears to be kicking in. Dunkirk is on the cover of the upcoming issue of Total Film according to Screen Rant. The issue promises that they are going “on location and into the edit suite to meet Nolan and his cast and discover why this is like no war movie you’ve ever seen” which means we’re going to get a lot of behind-the-scenes pictures.
There is also an interview with the acclaimed director along with a retrospective of his previous works that won’t be available with the digital copy. The interview isn’t available yet but there is a quote on the cover from the interview as Nolan explains why this is a different war movie than what we’re used to.
“It’s on a colossal scale, but it’s a survival story more than a war film.”
The huge glaring problem with movies based on historical events is the same problem that comes with prequels; when you know how something ends you have to work twice as hard to keep the audience engaged. It’s the thing that often kneecaps prequels so Nolan and company have to make sure that the characters are are following are engaging enough that we don’t remember that we know how this battle ends. There is an stellar cast though which includes Nolan regulars like Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy but also Kenneth Branagh, James D’Arcy, and Mark Rylance.
Summary: Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada, and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.
Dunkirk will be directed by Christopher Nolan and stars Tom Hardy Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh, James D’Arcy, and Mark Rylance. It will be released on July 21, 2017.
- Another TV Spot For 'Dunkirk' And Nolan Comments On The OST
- Two More TV Spots For 'Dunkirk' Plus The Running Time
- 'Dunkirk' Has A New IMAX Poster
- Empire Shares A New Image From 'Dunkirk' And Talks To Harry Styles And Kenneth Branagh
- Four TV Spots and Three Banners For 'Dunkirk'
- Runaways Season 2: Karolina and Nico’s Relationship is the “Emotional Core” - August 15, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2: Caitlin Strucker is “Hardened by Grief” - August 15, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War VFX Supervisor Says the [SPOILER]s Originally Looked Very Different - August 15, 2018
- Mike Moh Will Play Bruce Lee in Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - August 15, 2018
- First Poster for Michael Moore’s Donald Trump Documentary Fahrenheit 11/9 - August 15, 2018