A month back I took a look at the 2014 NFL draft and which players had teams pick up their fifth-year options and which didn’t. Four players were still with their original drafting team, weren’t coming back from significant injury but hadn’t gotten their options picked up. In other words, there was no clear reason why not. Calvin Pryor of the New York Jets was one of those four. Today we found out why. The Jets were planning to either trade Pryor or release him (According to ESPN’s NFL Insider Adam Schefter) and they drafted two safeties, Jamal Adams in the first round and Marcus Maye in the second, to make moving on easier.
The Jets found a trading partner, sending Pryor off to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for linebacker Demario Davis. Interestingly Davis was only with the Browns for one year, having spent the previous three seasons with… the Jets.
Pryor was drafted 18th overall in 2014 and played well in 2015, but he was not drafted by the current regime and fell out of favor when his play regressed in 2016. In 15 games played last season he had one forced fumble and no interceptions.
The Browns lacked depth at safety and look at Pryor as a young, experienced player with 38 career starts. The move leaves a hole in the Browns planed starting line-up as Davis was expected to be the starting inside linebacker.
- Former NFL QB Vince Young Takes Shots At Jeff Fisher And Ryan Fitzpatrick
- Former NFL Lineman, Ryan O'Callaghan, Spent Career Hiding His Sexuality And Planning His Suicide
- Becca Longo - Kicking Her Way To Being The First Woman To Play In The NFL
- With 100 Days Until NFL Season Starts, Why Is Colin Kaepernick Still Unsigned?
- The Best Job In The NFL: Long Snapper
- John Larroquette Joins ABC Comedy Pilot ‘Three Rivers’ - February 24, 2018
- Gotham Season 4: Wait… I Thought That Guy Was Dead? - February 24, 2018
- Carolina Panthers’ Price Tag Estimated Between $2.3 and $2.8 Billion - February 23, 2018
- American Pickers’ Mike Wolfe to Guest Star on NCIS - February 23, 2018
- Writer’s Commentary: Jeremy Whitley on Vampirella #10 - February 23, 2018