Earlier today, Bleeding Cool announced that Marvel Comics had let long-standing X-Men editor Daniel Ketchum go. Or, as Longshot artist Victor Calderon put it:
@bleedingcool "Let go" = Fired
— Victor Calderón (@neomagnus) May 26, 2017
The change was confirmed by Generation X writer Christina Strain:
— Christina Strain (@christinastrain) May 26, 2017
While other writer/editors sympathised:
@danielketchum Agh, so sorry to hear the news! Call or message me if you ever want to get drinx.
— Stuart Moore (@stuartmoore1) May 26, 2017
And some paid tribute:
We don’t yet know the reasons for the firing, though can confirm that’s what it was. There’s a lot of gossip — some blame Ketchum’s harsh attitude towards other staffers, while others describe him as one of the most organised and schedule-conscious editors in the business which caused him to butt heads. Some expressed surprise, knowing Ketchum’s closeness to EIC Axel Alonso.
Others are saying that this is just one of a number of editorial jobs planned to be trimmed at the publisher right now, already with a low staff-to-published-comic ratio and that there are more to come.
But all of this is coming second hand. Principle players are shutting up. The one thing I can do, if nothing else, is to assure people that the decision wasn’t related to the Ardian Syaf business.
Some people have doubts about the optics of it all:
Marvel reeling from the diversity broohaha, just sacked it's only gay non-white editor. Yeah, that's a good move.https://t.co/nKj8TNSbrs
— Derf Backderf (@DerfBackderf) May 26, 2017
And there were more tributes from writers…
Been traveling. But apparently news is out. If @danielketchum ever gave notes on a script I wrote, said script got better. ALWAYS.
— Marc Guggenheim (@mguggenheim) May 26, 2017
Good luck to @danielketchum after Marvel. I hope the best is yet to come.
— Andrew Wheeler (@Wheeler) May 26, 2017
@danielketchum I wanted to express that I enjoyed working with very much and I hope our paths cross sooner than later
— dennis calero (@DennisCalero) May 26, 2017
Daniel Ketchum is a good friend of mine and I will miss having him at Marvel.
— Jordan D. White (@cracksh0t) May 26, 2017
- ‘Evolution’: New Skybound Comic From James Asmus, Joseph Keatinge, Christopher Sebela, Joshua Williamson, Joe Infurnari, And Jordan Boyd - August 17, 2017
- Titan Comics Turn Their Marvel-Baiting ‘Fighting American’ Meme Into A Variant Cover - August 17, 2017
- Dastardly And Muttley #1 Review: A Surreal Modern Warfare Story - August 17, 2017
- A Final Trailer For Tonight/Tomorrow Morning’s Defenders Bingedrop From Marvel And Netflix - August 17, 2017
- Howard Chaykin Had To Change Another Cover ‘For Divided States Of Hysteria’ - August 17, 2017